Three

The bright moon of Calidum reflected off of the ocean surface. Rippling with its gentle waves, making its way onto shore, the foamed water just barely grazed Ben's feet. Sitting before the tranquil view, knees up and arms wrapped around his shins, Ben quietly watched the vast body of water before him.

As dinner had finished and he was dismissed, you had guided Ben back to his chambers—as he was not used to the palace just yet. You had wished him a good night with a gentle smile and a squeeze of his hand before leaving his side to retire for the evening in your own quarters. Ben had changed into one of the many clothing pieces in his closet, taking a simple tunic and soft pants to use for the night... however, just as he was about to rest, his mind wandered.

It was like every night before this one, the endless stream of thoughts... the haunting voice echoing in the back of his mind, wanting to break through his barriers. He couldn't sleep, tossing and turning, trying to clear his thoughts. Calligraphy wasn't an option this late in the evening, so he made his way down to the beach.

Where he found himself now. He had easily been there for an hour, listening to the natural sounds, letting it drown out his countless thoughts that clogged his head. Shutting his eyes and breathing in the ocean, Ben suddenly opened his eyes and looked to the right of him as he sensed someone.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," you sweetly smiled, but Ben shook his head. "May I sit?"

"Of course," he nodded before looking back ahead. Listening to you shift beside him as you sat down, a silk robe hiding your nightwear, he noticed you had been barefoot, toes digging into the sand.

"Unable to sleep?" You asked as Ben nodded. "I'm glad the beach is helpful, it helps me."

Looking over at you, Ben furrowed your eyebrows, "how so?"

"Well... a princess' life isn't as glorious as it may seem," you shrugged. "It can be very stressful with all the diplomatic missions... sometimes they're back to back. Others are very long and tiring. They can be overbearing, people and creatures can be harsh or stubborn... I'm sure you know," you chuckled. "A Jedi Knight such as yourself must've dealt with a wide variety of beings."

"Believe me, I have," Ben snickered before looking back ahead. "Sometimes it makes me wonder as to why being nice to others is the smart way to go when you're exposed to more bad than good."

Eyeing him, you took in a small breath and nodded, "I wonder... but then I think about those few who are grateful and, to me, it makes it worthwhile. I like to keep that in my mind, especially during difficult situations."

Thinking about your words, how he's handled far too many difficult situations, his mind circled his new mission. Watching over you. You were grateful and it was worthwhile... maybe, in the future when things get tough, he could think about this very moment.

Sitting in silence, gazing out into the ocean, you shivered a bit at the night air. Rubbing your arms and taking in a deep breath, you suddenly felt Ben's arm around you, catching your attention.

"I hope this isn't stepping over any boundaries, princess..." Looking down at you as you shook your head, a small smile was on Ben's lips.

"It helps," you smiled back before scooting closer to him. "A big person like you must rarely feel cold," you teased as Ben's smile grew.

"For the most part, probably why I sleep shirtless back in my hut," he shrugged as you tried not to think about a shirtless Ben. You looked away and sucked in your lips, hoping he didn't notice your reaction... But, of course, he did—you just didn't know.

"One thing I like to do when I can't sleep, besides being out here, is focus on my breathing," you said as you looked back out at the moon. "It helps clear my mind, let's me focus on just my breathing and then... I'm out like a light."