Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Lian, Zuko and her father exist the carriage as it stops outside the royal palace.

"Many times, I imagined myself here, at the threshold of the palace. But I always thought I would be here as a conqueror...instead, we are the Earth Kings personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing" says Iroh in awe, looking at the magnificent palace in front of him.

"It sure is Uncle" replies Zuko cheerfully.

Lian preferred not to say anything, still sulking like a little child. She had tried to convince her father that this wasn't a good idea, that something wasn't right but her father had just dismissed it for nerves. She even revealed how she had already met the Earth King and her adventures with the Avatar in Ba-Sing-Se and her father still refused!

Lian was aware that Aang, Toph and Sokka weren't in the city – instead away on personal business. So, why would the King choose now to meet her father and cousin? Obviously, he was aware that they were former Fire Nation royalty? Her father believed it was to learn about the secret members of the Royal Family living under his nose and what their intentions were – all while enjoying the finest tea in the city.

She wasn't too sure though. The guy didn't even know there was a war happening, he didn't seem very bright! Something was definitely strange. Perhaps it was an opportunity to capture and imprison them – that would make sense now that the Avatar also wasn't in the city to defend her.

A soldier escorted Lian and her family to a large, decorated house on the palace grounds, surrounded by shrubbery. It wasn't somewhere Lian had seen on her previous visit although the Palace was huge. She had just assumed the King would have wanted to meet them in the throne room. Zuko and Lian sit patiently at the table in the middle of the room while Iroh begins setting up his pots and cups.

"What's taking so long?" wonders Zuko impatiently. They had been sitting around for a while now and no one had come by to check on them.

"Maybe the Earth King overslept" says Iroh casually.

"Something's not right" whispers Lian, growing more and more worried.

As she stands, prepared to leave and find some answers, the doors suddenly open and several Dai Li agents walk into the room and form a circle around them.

"Something's definitely not right" agrees Zuko.

Suddenly another figure enters the room and Lian's eyes widen. She had not expected this.

"It's tea time" mocks Azula.

"Azula!" cries a stunned Zuko, rushing to his feet and assuming a firebending stance along with Lian.

"Have you met the Dai Li?" asks Azula sinisterly. "They're Earthbenders, but they have a killer instinct that is so Firebender, I just love it!"

While Zuko and Lian assess the situation, looking for the best route of escape, Iroh just casually pours himself a cup of tea before standing with it.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the "Dragon of the West"?" asks Iroh conversationally.

"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle" replies a bored Azula.

"It's more of a demonstration really" With that her father takes a sip of tea. Zuko and Lian look at each other, smirking before suddenly ducking. Once Lian and Zuko were out of harms way, her father opens his mouth and breathes a powerful torrent of fire at the Dai Li, like a dragon. The agents lower their heads and lift their gloved hands to shield themselves.