Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

The Tale of Lian

The sun was shining and not a single cloud was present in the sky.

Lian and her family had enough money to at least be comfortable and business at the tea shop was booming.

Lian felt like she could walk down the street without fear of being recognised or hunted.

Everything was perfect.

Despite all this, Lian woke feeling an immense amount of pain, loss and sadness. Leaving her room, Lian was surprised to see she was alone. Zuko had already left for work and although her father had the day off, it seemed he too was out today.

After making herself some breakfast, Lian decided to walk to the marketplace knowing she had a good chance of finding her father there. If he wasn't in the tea shop, the next best place was the marketplace where her father had a soft spot for shopping.

She caught sight of her father walking pleasantly down the lane and stopping to examine a basket being sold by a merchant.

"If this is for a romantic picnic, may I suggest this lavender one?" says the merchant politely.

"No, it is not a romantic picnic, but it is a special occasion" responds her father, handing the merchant a few coins and picks up the basket. Lian watches on sadly knowing exactly what the occasion was.

"Do you plan on making your presence known, Lotus flower?" Lian jumps in surprise as her father turns to face her.

"I thought I would see how you're doing today" replies an embarrassed Lian, rubbing the back of her neck.

Her father just smiles, although Lian could see the pain in his eyes. "I hope you don't mind but I would like to be left alone today."

Lian just nods as she watches with worry as her father walks down the lane humming quietly to himself. Today was the anniversary of her brother's death and while Lian found it hard, she knew her father always struggled to overcome the pain of losing his son and first born.

Walking aimlessly through the city, Lian finally reaches a small lake close to the middle ring of the wall. Finding a small bench besides the lake, Lian finally takes a seat and watches the birds swimming freely in the lake.

She didn't know how long she sat there, but Lian eventually found herself lost in her own memories.

"Very well Lian" praised her grandfather, Fire Lord Azulon as he watched his oldest grandaughter complete the new moves she had just learnt, "You'll be a fine firebender one day."

"Thank you, grandfather" bows Lian in respect before moving to sit between her father and Lu Ten. Her brother gave her a one arm hug to let her know how proud he was resulting in a wide grin erupting on Lian's face.

"Father, we have much to discuss" says her father seriously, looking to where his own father was sitting behind a wall of flame.

"Of course," says Fire Lord Azulon before making a hand gesture to dismiss her and Lu Ten.

Lian stands and bows ready to leave but she notices her brother remains seated.

"I would like Lu Ten to stay" asks Iroh to which her grandfather nods.

"But..." begins Lian, eager to interrupt but a sharp look from Lu Ten forces her to bow once again before leaving the room.

Knowing they were going to be in there for a while, Lian decided to wait in the gardens – one of her favourite places in the whole palace. It was where she spent most of her time playing with her younger cousins, Zuko and Azula.