Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Lian knelt beside her cousin in the Fire Nation Palace Throne Room with her eyes diverted downwards in respect, listening to her Uncle speak. She always hated being in this room – although 'room' was an understatement. It was more like a large chamber with red walls and black pillars that had elaborate gold bases. She always felt intimated and locked in when in this room – almost like a prisoner in her own home.

Her Uncle sat on a high platform behind a wall of fire. An enormous image of a dragon breathing fire adorns the wall behind the him. It wasn't exactly a welcoming place, it's imposing atmosphere was designed to instil awe and fear in all who enter, intimidating all who face the Fire Lord – even family.

After hearing a report from his Generals, everyone left leaving Azula and Lian alone with the Fire Lord. So far, Lian had managed to get away with it. She made it back to her cabin on Zhao's ship without being caught and acted like a distressed Princess when she was informed that the siege of the North Pole had been unsuccessful.

Staying seated, her Uncle began to speak to Azula. "My brother is a traitor and your brother Zuko is a failure." Lian closed her eyes resigned to the news that spread across the Fire Nation that Zuko and her father helped stopped the Fire Nation from taking the North Pole.

"I have a task for you, Azula" continues her Uncle. "It's time you bring your Uncle and brother home where they can spend the rest of their lives rotting in prison for their treachery."

Azula smiles wickedly, pleased with her task. "Of course, father. I won't let you down."

Lian kept her head down, staring at the floor in front of her, hoping they would soon be dismissed.

"Lian, you understand your father in now a traitor" says her Uncle, turning his attention to her. "You are forbidden from seeing him ever again."

"Yes Uncle" says Lian softly continuing to stare at the floor.

"Why did you stay in your cabin in the North Pole instead of helping with the battle?" questions her Uncle. "Zuko and Iroh would have been no match for you."

Lian knew her Uncle was getting angry. When news reached the Capital about Lian's decision to not participate in the war, even Azula was confused. There were even rumours that she had secretly been working with the Avatar and her father against the Fire Navy army.

"I am a loyal servant of the Fire Nation" responds Lian defiantly, finally looking up to her Uncle. "I would have happily fought if Admiral Zhao had allowed it."

Silence followed as Fire Lord Ozai started down at his niece, pleased by her passion but still uncertain.

"Father, if that is all with me, I would like to leave to prepare for my journey" came the bored voice of her little cousin. At first, Lian wasn't sure if he was going to respond until he finally leaned back and nodded.

"Uncle, let my prove my love for the Fire Nation" spoke up Lian, desperate not to be left in the Fire Nation palace while Azula hunted her father and cousin. "Let me go with Azula. I will help her bring back my father and Zuko so they can face justice."

"No... I" argues Azula but was cut off by the Fire Lord.

"Take her Azula, she can be of great use" states her Uncle before finally dismissing them.

Lian and Azula both stood, bowing respectfully before leaving the Throne Room. Lian sighs in relief once she was out of the room, some part of her knew the Fire Lord believed her story. No one would be able to provide evidence to suggest otherwise.

"I don't need your help" exclaims Azula, crossing her arms to stand in front of her older cousin.

Lian just smiles softly in response. Unlike Zuko, Azula preferred her independence and always wanted to do things herself. "I know cousin" she responds. "I'm not here to babysit you. Think of it more as a girl's trip. We haven't had a chance to spend much time together lately."