Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

After the Avatar and his friends left, Lian scouted the area for a comfortable place for her father to rest while Zuko helped him onto a war ostrich and followed behind. After searching, Lian was able to find a small, run down shack overlooking a cliff which was far enough from the village that Azula wouldn't find them but also not too far to tire out her father.

After helping Zuko lay down her father on a straw mat within the shack, Lian went to gather some food and water while Zuko bandaged up Iroh.

After collecting some berries and tea leaves, Lian returned to find Zuko sitting outside the shack staring intently at the fire in front of him.

"I found some tea leaves" says Lian gently, "maybe we can make father some tea."

Zuko just nods, continuing to stare to the flames in front of him. Lian sighed, taking a seat next to him knowing Zuko would start a conversation when her was ready.

After some time of silence, Zuko finally spoke: "You're helping the Avatar?" although it was a question, Lian didn't answer. Zuko already knew the answer to that. Instead she just shrugs, shooting a small ball of fire into the flames.

"Why" asked Zuko, desperation in his voice.

"I don't know" murmured Lian, finally looking up to her cousin. "You know I would never do anything to hurt you, Zuzu or even Azula but I just knew I had too. I had to help the Avatar, and I'll still help him. I'm going to teach him how to firebend."

"Is helping the Avatar worth being a traitor to your nation" says Zuko bitterly, taking the tea leaves from Lian.

"This war has gone on for long enough. When people see us, all they see is monsters" says Lian, watching as Zuko begins preparing the tea. "We aren't monster. The Fire Nation can be peaceful and we can co-exist with the other nations – we just need the right leader."

Lian stares intently at Zuko hoping he understood that she was talking about him. She wished Zuko would look past his anger and use his determination to help save the world from the destruction of his father.

Before Zuko can respond, a groan is heard from inside and both Zuko and Lian race in to check on Iroh.

"Uncle!" exclaims Zuko, kneeling besides her father. "You were unconscious. Azula did this to you."

Her father tries to get up but winces in pain. Instead he chooses to lean against the wall as Zuko hands him a steaming cup of tea.

"Zuko made this tea especially for you" says Lian, also kneeling besides her father. Iroh takes a sip from the cup and his eyes widen in disgust which he quickly tries to hide. Unluckily, Lian knew her father well and coughed to hide her laugh.

"Mmm, good. That was very, uhh... bracing!" says her father, taking another sip causing Zuko to light up before her father turns to face her. "My lotus flower, it has been too long."

Lian finally cracks, tears spill from her eyes as she engulfs her father in a hug. "I'm sorry father" she says, not letting him go. "Azula used my distraction to strike you."

"Don't be silly lotus flower, Azula would have found a way" her father responds reassuringly as Lian finally pulls away, "I'm glad you're here with us again. Although I hope the Avatar doesn't mind."

Lian just smiles. While her father was gentle and calm, she knew he always knew more than he let on. He probably was already aware of her adventures with the Avatar and his friends.

"So, Uncle," says Zuko, taking Iroh's empty cup and refilling it. "I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her. I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her."