Vacation (part 8)

Zuko's POV

Katara is a nighttime person. I am a morning person. She's been trying to go back to bed all day.

"You can't sleep until it's dark outside!" I say.

"Easy for you to say. You're stronger during the day! I'm stronger at night!"

"It's not healthy. I just want you to be healthy."

"I just want to sleep!"

"You can't sleep right now." I pick her up off the couch like a baby and take her outside. "We're going on a walk again. Put on your shoes." She puts her flip flops on. I slip mine on too.

"Is this even the good kind of walk?" She asks.

"What's the good kind of walk?"

"You know,"

"No, I don't." I laugh.

"The kind where I don't have to walk."

"Ohh. That kind of walk." I say. "Yeah, no. This is gonna wake you up."

"Damn." She grabs my hand as we walk to the path we took yesterday. She puts her other hand on my shoulder.

"You can't depend on me at all." I say, shaking her off my shoulder. "You can hold my hand but you can't lean on me."

"Why?" She whines.

"You're just full of complaints today, aren't you?"

"You make me do it."

"I know." I say with a proud smile. "But seriously, you have to stay awake. I just want what's best for you."

"I know. It's just so much work." She groans, putting some weight on her hand. I laugh.

"I love you."

"I love you, too." She kisses me on the cheek.

"Maybe this can be a fun walk."

"Really?"

"Fuck no! You won't stay awake." I say. She whimpers sadly. "Maybe when we get back..." I kiss her deeply. I put my hand on her shoulder and slide it towards the bottom of her neck, then slide down her chest with my fingertips. I stop.

"Come on! You were this close to ripping my shirt off!"

"Kat, I just said not now. I didn't get distracted and forget."

"Ugh. It would've been so much better if you did." She says. After a few more seconds, she says, "This walk is taking so long."

"If you're already getting impatient, then I have a feeling you're not gonna like what I have planned for you when we get back."

"You're joking."

"Maybe," I pause. "If that's what puts you at ease, then sure." She laughs and pushes me. I push her back and we both start laughing, lightly pushing each other back and forth.

I start to tickle her, and she laughs more. "I know you're ticklish too." She says. She starts to tickle me, making me laugh more. As the laughter dies down, we walk again, no interruptions. I grab her hand. "So now that I'm fully awake..." She puts her chin on my shoulder and twists the neck part of my shirt. I look at her and start to kiss her. She reaches for the bottom of my shirt, but I grab her wrist to stop her.

"When we get back." I say. "After all this time, you still can't listen."

"Nope. Maybe if you would listen to me instead..."