Dear Dad

In this one-shot, Caspian, the son of Annie and Finnick, writes a letter to his father and explains a little about his life.

Hi ! My name is Caspian Odair and I'm the son of Annie Cresta and Finnick Odair. Yes, the sames one who each won the Hunger Games, games where twenty-four children had to kill each other in an arena. Then there was a rebellion and my father died fighting while my mother was pregnant with me. I know his death had devastated her and if I hadn't been there she couldn't have continued. I also know that when she is alone in her room, she collapses and cries against her door for hours. She always tell me his story and reminds me that my father did not abandon us and is not a coward, he wanted me to live in a world in peace and he died as a hero. He is and always will be my hero even if I didn't know him.

I remember one day my mom told me that if I felt alone I should talk to the ocean and it would remind me of my dad. I nerver did, because I knew mom was a little confused and wanted to try to cheer me up, but today I decided I was going and I had an idea in my head.

I got out of my room and wrote a note to my mom before leaving for the beach with a sheet, a pen and a bottle.

I'm at the beach at our usual place. I decided to finally listen to your advice and  talk to him. I hope it will do me good.

Love you, Caspian

You are probably wondering, what is this usual place ? Well I'll tell you. Since I was born, my mother used to take me once a week to the beach in the area where she had her appointments with my father, whom we nicknamed the usual place.

So I left and headed for that place. When I got there I sat down and looked at the ocean. I couldn't speak, just watch the waves crashing on the sand. I took out my sheet an pen and started writing a letter to my father.

Dear Finnick Odair,

I know you might not know me but my name is Caspian and I am your son. First of all, don't blame mom if she never told you. I'll tell you my story.

Mom got pregnant the night you got married and found out soon after you left. When your team came back mom was excited to tell you but when she found out that you were dead it was like her world had just collapsed, she told me. After the rebellion, she returned to the place that most reminded her of you, the District Four. Then I was born and she treated me with the most love that a person can have.

But I'll tell you the real reason for this letter. I just wanted you to know that I don't think you abandoned me because you didn't love me or something else. Mom told me that you went to fight so that I could live in a better world and that you died a hero. You are and always will be my hero, the one who sacrificed himself for the others.

I love you, Caspian

I took a deep breath and relaxed. I took th letter, rolled it up and put it in the bottle. I stood up and threw her into the water, as far as I could. I saw her get carried away by the waves and sat down again. I stood like that for a moment, staring at the ocean, when a hand rested on my shoulder. I turned and saw my mother, smiling as always with me. She sat down next to me and when she moved closer I could see tears on her cheeks. I hugged her and that's when she let go. She cried into my shoulder as I consoled her. She calmed down, smile at me, and gently kissed my forehead.

"I sent him a letter" I said. "Finally, I wrote a letter, put it in a bottle and threw in into the sea."

"He's so proud of you, I know that." she said. We spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach and came home.

Since that day, I go to the beach every day and talk to the ocean, thinking it's my dad.

~~~

I hope you like this chapter.

Love you !