Chapter 24

Kuroo POV

Of course they left at 5:00.
Of course Akaashi and Kenma knew.
Of course they would have come to greet their friend good bye.
Of course I had to be stupid and come exactly at the odd timing that I decided on when I was half asleep.
Of course Kenma laughed at me.
Of course Akaashi gave me the stink eye because of my mistake.

" IT IS OKAY BRO. YOU WILL GET HIM NEXT TIME. "
" There is no next time, this time, bro. "
" Right, sorry bro. "
" I honestly dislike you now but I care about Kei who likes you for some.  reason. " Akaashi interrupted.
" What do you mean ' for some reason '? "
" Do you want my help or not? "
" I desperately do. "
" He is not technically going back to Miyagi today. "

" What do you mean? "
" He has a tournament today. A swimming tournament in the gym by the OAC. You better catch him on time. "
" He swims? "
" I think he good too. Doesn't talk about it much. "
" Well, don't you want to see him? "
" We both do but he asked us not to come when we asked him. Plus, we have no means of transportation. "
" I can take you there. Please, please, please. I don't want to be alone. "

" I wanted to go but I am only going if Kenma is coming. "
I look over at Kenma knowing that he has absolutely no interest in attending sport events.
" Kenma please! "
" You know why my answer is. Why bother? "
" I will tell your mother about that thing. "
He squints at me suspiciously.
" What thing? "
I just smirk at him.He knows.
He screams in defeat. " Ugh. Fine. "

Tsukishima POV

This is it.
The swim meet.
I honestly just want to participate in diving.
I love the feel of jumping off the platform and owning the attention and having control over your movements mid air.
Aaaaaaaa.
The way I carry myself and do the decided routine and flips is what matters.

There is no simultaneous competition.
It is just me and the water.
" ALL PARTICIPANTS IN THE 100 METRE FREESTYLE RACE, PLEASE ASSEMBLE NEAR BOOTH A. "
Oh, it's starting.
Our captain is obviously one of the best freestyle swimmers in our prefacture, his timing here too was very nice.
Fortunately, he managed to get into the second final round.

That is the problem with a lot of swimming styles that are popular, there are a lot of participants.
Butterfly is one of the least persued styles so I have it easier than him.
Soon backstroke races were done and it was my chance.
I hate races. I always have.
I stop thinking for a while and just imagine I am alone.
I am swimming on my own terms.

I take my position on the diving board, waiting for the whistle.
1.
2.
3.
I jump breaking the surface.
I am almost a quarter of the way in by the time I come back up.
I have no idea what is going on in the other lanes.
I don't know if I am behind.
I don't know if I am ahead.

I don't care.
I turn in perfect form and continue swimming.
The water definitely feels different than it usually does when I am alone but practicing with the club has definitely made me more well adjusted to how the water behaves.
I finally complete the lap to see only one person had reached before me.
I ranked second.

Not bad considering that this is my first competitive meet.
A few more races take place and it is time for dives.
I feel nervous.
There are not a lot of competitors but my senpais warned me about a few of them who were really good.
But I guess even if I don't win, I can only learn and perform better next time.
I remember my mother asked me to look for her in the audience.
I'd rather not.

Tsukishima POV

It was time.
I heard the whistle.
I backed up on the diving platform and ran ahead neatly jumping just before the edge.
I briefly tucked my legs in and extended them.
After a couple of twists and turns I was nearing the water so I resumed the standard diving posture so as not splash much water.

I came back up and left the pool to go stand by my team because that is what the other players did.
The captain said that my movement were nice and fluid and believed that I would at least place a rank.
Which I did.
9.
That was my score.
I placed third with just one point behind the second ranker who was from Tokyo.
I am really surprised to be able to score that high my first time doing it.

I was not allowed to let that sink in because right after, we have the relay.
A second year made us promise that we would give it our all for the captain.
We could not let him down after all that he had done for us.
He was talking to the girls who also performed well in their races.
There was something announced which I did not pay attention to but found the captain dragging me towards the booths.
Soon we took our position and found out rival team beside us.

The captains were taunting each other while I was just bored.
Soon the equipment was ready and the races were to begin.
A lot of teams are disqualified because of fouls. That is why only 2 rounds are required.
In the first one, we managed to win by a landslide.
The second one was where it going to become tough.
Only four teams had lined up.

I was third with the back stroke and breast stroke swimmer being the ones starting us off.
We were in the lead at first but we soon lost it as the second swimmer started off late so as to not foul.
The captain whispered to me that I should try my best to get the lead back.
I nodded and took my position on the board.
Seeing the others jump off before me was nerve wracking but I have to collect myself together and do my best.

Seeing our swimmer approach I jump into the water and use my dive to its full extent.
As soon as I break through, I push against the water with all I have, charging ahead not caring where the others lie.
I turn and push against the wall with full effort and not half heartedly like I usually do.
I continue with the same amount of force not caring that my breathing had become uneven.
I hate falling short of expectations.

I touch the wall feeling the splash from the captain's dive.
I pulled myself out the pool only to be hugged by the team members.
" Thanks for getting the lead back! "
" I did? "
" A second before those dumb asses. " Clearly referring to the rivals.
I removed my swimming goggles so I could barely see anything.
Hence I relied on the other two screaming to come to the conclusion that we won.