{Reincarnation Chapter 5}

Bliss, it had been fucking bliss.

Eli and Esther were set to be wed.

Ressa had taken to calling them E and E which they absolutely loathed so she used it more and more. Lorian and she had been really well too. They would be wed at some point but she was not one for big events.

Unlike E and E’s wedding hers would be small, by the hill to the north, out in nature.

Just inviting her uncles, father and everyone from Nathan’s bode. Of course the official ceremony followed the pre-wedding tradition of her clan that had happened more than a week before.

One week four days before to be specific, she could never forget.

The bonding rite.

A wedding made things official but some argued the rite's significance surpassed the wedding's.

The couple chose a bond mark that was sealed onto their bodies in symbolic declaration of becoming mated for life.

As soul mates.

Matrimony held more importance in her clan than most and separation only occured through death.

Lorian and Ressa chose a crescent as their bond mark.

Well, Ressa suggested it and Lorian agreed. Ressa's mother came from the crescent family and the same blood flowed through her veins.

It was simple but meaningful.

The clan chief officiated the rite then uncle Kol appeared with the tools. The bond mark was essentially a tattoo that two partners shared.

Ressa had witnessed much more elaborate markings on couples; her father's left shoulder was covered with wild vines, the same tattoo she'd seen on her mother's upper arm.

She got her mark just beneath the pinkie toe while Lorian received his on the small of his back.

The herbs applied afterwards allowed them to heal faster so she couldn't wear her boots for only two days.

The bonding rite done, the wedding was still a while away but they were one.

They all sat having breakfast when a messenger rushed in.

Everyone paused as Nathan read the message distress on his face. A town under his protection seemed to be under attack. Breakfast concluded and within a short time the men left towards the plausible danger.

Martin had been left behind to look after the household. Besides, the mansion was surrounded by towns and folk loyal to Nathan, they were safe.

That she told herself constantly for Ressa remained distressed. She rode out to the river to settle down, she knew not to venture out too far.

The matter was expected to be resolved quick so Lorian had said. Her chest tightened with worry however.

How could she not?

Nothing could distract her not even the ache of her back but that had been going on all week.

She returned to the house twisted in knots seemingly worse than she had left if that was possible. The sun was setting and no word had come yet. 

Was that a good thing or a bad one?

As night approached, Ressa sat in the company of Esther as they chatted to comfort each other as both were anxious. They lounged in Ressa’s room where she sat on a chair next to the bed sewing a new pair of trousers while Esther lay leisurely on her bed.