Chapter - 153

You must stand it, Adelyn said gravely. You must exercise control. It is possible, and it is the only thing that will save you now.

The girl clutched her dirt-encrusted hands around her head, yowling quietly.

Shouldn't we move away from her? Bella whispered, tugging on Edward's arm. 

We have to stay here, Edward murmured. They are coming to the north end of the clearing now.

After a second of fruitless searching, Bella's gaze met with the girl's, who was still watching Bella, her eyes half-mad. Bella stared at the girl, mesmerized wondering if she were looking into a mirror of her future.

Then Carlisle, Jasper and Adelyn began to back towards the rest of them. Emmett, Rosalie, and Esme all converged hastily around where Edward stood with Alice and Bella. A united front, as Edward had said, with Bella at the heart, in the safest place.

Bella could see nothing,  She glanced at Edward and his eyes were locked straight ahead, like rest of them, but there was only smoke --- dense, oily smoke twisting low to the ground, rising lazily, undulating against the grass.

It billowed forward, darker in the middle.

Hmm...... a voice murmured from the mist. Bella could recognize the voice now.

Welcome, Jane, said Edward coolly.

The dark shapes came closer, separating themselves from the haze, solidifying. Jane was in front, she was wearing the darkest cloak, almost black, and the smallest figure by more than two feet. 

The four grey-shrouded figures hulking behind her were also somewhat familiar to Bella.

I don't understand, said Jane. Never the less impressive.

'She has surrendered, said Edward. Adelyn stepped forward from who still holding Adelyn's waist.

Do't think about what you'll do to her, said Adelyn as she went near the girl. 

'Surrendered?' Jane's eye flashed to his face she was ignoring Adelyn this was making her anger flare.

Carlisle gave her the option, said Jasper, trying to calm his mate.

There are no options for those who break the rules, said Jane flatly.

Carlisle spoke to them, his voice mild. 

As long as she was willing to halt her attack on us. I saw no need to destroy her. She was never taught, said Carlisle.

That is irrelevant, Jane insisted.

Just out of professional curiosity, how many were there? They left quite wake of destruction in Seattle, said Alec.

 Eighteen, including this one, said Carlisle.

Jane's eyes widened, and she looked at the fire again, seeming to reassess the size of it. Felix and the other shadow exchanged a longer glance.

Eighteen? she repeated, her voice sounding unsure for the first time.

All brand new, said Carlisle dismissively. They were unskilled'.

All? Her voice turned sharp. Then who was their creator?'

Her name was Victoria, Edward murmured.

Was? Jane asked.

Adelyn inclined her head toward the eastern forest, Jane's eyes snapped up and focused on something far in the distance. The other pillar of smoke? Bella didn't look away to check.

This Victoria ----- she was in addition to the eighteen here? Jane asked.

Yes, she had only one other with her. He was not as young as this one here, but no older than a year, Jasper said.