Chapter 1 - Promise

Toothless gently flapped his ebony patterned wings, going back into a slow glide over a thick layer of fog appeared below him, Hiccup and Astrid sat on his back.

" So, what now?" Astrid kept her hands on Hiccup's shoulder, looking down at the ocean below as she asked him, the boy gripped Toothless' saddle tighter and chuckled wanting to avoid answering the question.

" Hiccup, you have your finale exam is tomorrow, you know your gonna have to kill it..." Astrid tilted to the side before she leaned closer to Hiccup's ear, not wanting Toothless to hear her.

"Ah...kill the dragon." Astrid looked at him, she could imagine his position, having faced the persistent pressure from her parents since she was five, Toothless' once diluted pupils turned to slits, as a faint chittering sound echoed in his ears. It had been a month since he had last heard the call, her call, since he had met Hiccup and found a new purpose for his life the call of the Queen had been drowned out.

" Don't remind me." Hiccup answered back to the blonde, as Toothless made a quick drive down into the fog bank, both Astrid and Hiccup we're taken by surprise. What was the Night Fury doing, Hiccup hadn't seen him act like this ever, something was drawing him into the fog.

" Toothless, what's happening?" Hiccup was pulling on the saddle's handles, trying to reason with his dragon, but the Night Fury didn't budge and continued to fly deeper into the fog.

" What is it, bud?" Hiccup continued to question him, but Toothless didn't answer and moved to the side, when a Monstrous Nightmare flew up behind them. The Stocker class dragon warbled to the Night Fury, who replied with small grunts, the two continuing on their flight.

" Get down." Hiccup tapped Astrid's hand and whispered back to her, as they both lowered themselves down to Toothless to avoid being seen. More dragons from across the species that Hiccup knew appeared in the fog and flew next to the Night Fury, each of them holding a hunk of meat in their claws.

" What's going on?" Astrid wearily whispered in Hiccup's ear, her eyes darting from dragon to dragon. She hadn't seen this many dragons before even on raid nights, she realised that they were probably all coming from different islands that they would have raided.

" I don't know, Toothless you gotta get us outta here bud." Hiccup turned his head back to Astrid before he placed a hand on his friend's neck, only for the Night Fury to push it away with a low snarl. Hiccup didn't know what to do, something in him though was telling him that Toothless wanted to show them something, he turned and looked at the other dragons.

" It looks like they're hauling in their kill." Hiccup squinted and looked at each of the dragon's claws, hunks of mangled meat and dead animals dangling from them. The sight made Astrid sick, she had seen them take the food from their island, but this gave a whole new perspective to it.

" Ah...what does that make us?" Astrid asked, she hoped they weren't seen as food, she was trying to figure out what was happening, while holding on tighter to Hiccup's waist. The dragons at the head of the flock all roared in unison, soon they all began diving down towards the ocean, Astrid and Hiccup held on tight.

The flock maneuvered through a maze of sea stacks following an uncertain path, Hiccup and Astrid squinted, trying to look through the thick black cloud. Toothless however knew exactly where he was going, Hiccup noticed each of the dragons seemed to be moving unison, could they be speaking to each other?

Before the two passengers, loomed a huge dark charcoal mountain, with faint streams of lava pouring from it, the feeling of death and despair soon filled the riders minds, as Toothless flew closer. The flock dove into a dark hazy tunnel and flying through the twisting burrows with ease, at the end of the tunnel was a huge open cavern, where hundreds of dragons were flying around.