Chapter 1

SAGE POV

'I seriously cannot sleep and I'm tired of watching TV' I grumble to the girls on FaceTime. Tomorrow is our first day back at high school after a long summer off.

Finally, I'm a junior and this can only mean one thing: only two more years until college. Don't get me wrong, I love high school but knowing my independence is a step closer gets me excited for things to come. The future! I know I know, I am only 16 but I am a true optimist, constantly planning how my life will look: college; degree; getting my own place.

But first things first, friends. I cannot wait to see Kerrys and Kayla. From looking at their instagram posts, they looked like they had the best time ever in Spain. Kerrys and Kayla are two of my best friends and I've known them since the first grade. There's also Theia, who I also cannot wait to see since she's been in Canada for the summer visiting her grandparents but from our nightly four way Facetimes, I think she has spent more time moaning and complaining than seeing the sights. Theia is my other best friend who I met on the first day of high school. Unlike Kayla and Kerrys, she didn't grow up in our small town but the four of us have been inseparable since.

My summer wasn't all bad. I had a great summer touring around in England with my younger sister Shay. The only downside for me was that we had to stay at our parents friends house and as a result of them letting us stay for free, we had to include them in all of our activities and let me tell you, it was not fun! Anyway, I'm expecting big things from this year, sophomore year was kind of boring, aside from a few mediocre dances and the Greyson's winning the lottery, therefore taking up early retirement and moving to France. Oh, and Miss Day, our Art teacher, got pregnant by a senior and they ran away together. Talk about scandal. Not much happens here in Jewel Bay, so that was bound to be the talk of town. It's going to take a while for the school to clean up that image and I can already imagine Principal Knox forbidding us from talking about it when we return tomorrow.

Currently, I'm talking to my girls on our last four way FaceTime before we see each other again, I yawn "It's getting late. Shit I should sleep." I look at my phone and it's 3:00am.

"We've got to be up in four hours." Kerrys reminds us all. After mumbling night to the girls, I end the call and fall face down. So much for not being able to sleep.

Beep Beep Beep... I swear I literally fell asleep five minutes ago. After groaning and restraining myself from throwing my phone at the wall, I drag myself out of bed and get ready. Walking past the mirror I chuckle in horror: Chanel would be proud of the bags I have under my eyes. Never again am I going to sleep that late. I share a bathroom with Shay and normally I'm in and out first but seeing as I overslept, I can already hear her in there murdering a Rihanna song.

"Turn up to Rihanna while the whole club fucking wasted..." screams Shay, rest in peace to that song. I can just imagine her doing gun fingers whilst screeching that.

"My blap blap blap" Are those even the words? I'm sure it's like bra bra...

I've had enough of this "Shay, this is a shower, not a world tour, hurry up!"

Seconds later Shay unlocked the door and walks out "Bitch better have my money", she raps whilst walking past me.

"How are we related?" I shake my head and mumble to myself, walking in and locking the door.

A shower and three outfit changes later, finally opting on a white crop top, black high waisted jeans and black leather ankle boots, I better get on my way and pick up Theia. She hates being late, even if it is by a minute.

Running down the stairs into the kitchen, I hear giggling and whispering. I freeze at the scene in front me, then promptly bring my hand to cover my eyes. Lord, if I am adopted as I suspect I am, now would be the best time to give me a sign. My parents are making out with my mom sat on the counter and my dad stood between her legs. Kill me now 'Not where the food is prepared, have you guys no shame?'