Chapter 20

As the wedding progressed, I realised that it was time for speeches so I decided to head up on stage.

I smiled over at James Bay who ends his song. He smiles back at me as he takes a seat on the stool besides him as I clear my throat. I hold my wine glass in my hand as I catch the eyes of some of the guests.

"May I have your attention please."

The chatters slow down and everyone soon turn to look at me.

"As the best man, I would say that it is time for me to give my speech." A few guys cheer and I let out a small laugh as I turn to look at the newlyweds. "This has been a very emotional night so bare with as I gather my words. Let's toast."

Everyone lifts their glasses up.

"To the newlyweds." Everyone repeats after me and I bow my head towards the couple. "I just want to start off by saying congratulations to Destiny and Mateo Ferguson."

Mateo's friends let out a cheer.

"In this day and age, it is really hard trying to find a long lasting relationship." My eyes drift over to Kyrie before turning back to my brother. "Having a healthy relationship is super important. There are so many couples who cheat on eachother and accept it but that's wrong and I've always admired the fact that you have never had a scandal. Mateo, you made me believe in love again and I have always wanted what you have."

Mateo's smile softens.

"I love you guys so much." I go on to tell some funny stories about the couples before my father takes over.

"As many of you already know, I am Mateo's father." My dad smiles at the crowd who let out a cheer. "Mateo is my only son so this moment is a pretty big deal for me. From the moment my boy was born, I knew that he was destined for greatness. Having been a NBA player, I wanted that for him but I was always open to him going into a different field because Mateo likes to explore his options."

Mateo smiles at our father.

"Joining the NBA at a young age was an achievement but meeting Destiny was a bigger accomplishment. Son, you met the woman who would be there to hold you down and that's not an easy thing to do with the career that you have. So thank you Destiny for being there for my boy and not giving up on crazy ass him."

More and more speeches were made and the rest of the wedding ended up going smoothly.

It was a day that I will never forget.

---