Chapter 31: "Alyssa's Story"

Midnight-black hair danced joyfully in the crispy, sweet morning breeze. A delicate hand made its way into the hair, combing it slightly out of her face. She plunged it over her shoulders and ambled towards the open window. Placing her smaller-than-average soft hands on the window, she closed it and cutting off the path of the wind.

"Lady Alyssa," came a feminine voice from outside the grand bedroom.

"Yes?" replied Alyssa, turning her elegant figure around and facing the door.

"King Alvyn-sama wants to see you in his throne room."

"Okay. I'll be there in a second," said Alyssa, taking a look at herself in the mirror and applying some lipstick. She quickly fixed her hair and strolled out of her room, flashing a kind smile at her maid.

Once she reached the large double doors, a guard opened them for her and she entered the room. At the end of it, Alvyn sat on the throne, waiting for her presence.

"Yes?" She said with a delightful smile, looking up at her lover.

"I have a mission for you," he said, smiling slightly at her.

"What is it?" She asked, a curious expression decorating her face.

"Bring them in," said Alvyn. A door opened from the left of the room and a man came out.

He held two crying bundles in his arms and looked stressed out. His hair stuck out messily and his clothes looked like they were grabbed and pulled harshly.

"Here they are, Your Majesty," he said, bringing the baggage over to Alvyn.

Alyssa glanced at the two bundles and her eyes lit up.

"Babies?" She exclaimed, taking them from the man.

"That's right. They were found outside the castle, abandoned," said Alvyn.

"Abandoned?" Gasped Alyssa, stroking the girl's cheek. "Who would do such a thing to these precious beings?"

"Some parents are just like that," sighed Alvyn. "Now then, my beloved. Your mission is to take care of those two. Can you do it?" He asked.

"Take care of them? Of course I can! I will!" Said Alyssa, awing at the two children. "I'll take care of you two, trust me," she said, her voice nothing but a whisper.

The two cries ceased immediately, their tiny eyes looking up at the kind, onyx eyes of the lady.

"What are their names?" asked Alyssa.

"Names? Do they need such thing?" replied Alyvn.

"Of course they do!"

"Then you name them."

Alyssa looked back down at the babies and licked her lips. The girl pulled her hand out of the blanket and stretched it out to touch Alyssa's own. Alyssa handed the baby her finger, to which she gladly took, wrapping her minuscule hand onto Alyssa's bigger hand. This act of cuteness sent Alyssa's heart over the edge. She brought the girl next to her face, kissing her smooth cheek lovingly.

"I'll call you Elvina, since you're small like an elf," she giggled. "And you," she started, glancing over at quiet boy. "Alfred! Since you're both twins, you'll be elf twins!"

She took the babies away to her bedroom and asked the maid to prepare baby products for them.

"You know, I've always wanted kids, but I couldn't..." confessed Alyssa one night, stroking the babies' faces. "You two are such a blessing. I'll take care of you. You don't have to worry about anything." She hugged them both close to her chest. To say she was overjoyed was an understatement.