Chapter: 2

"Just apologize to him for losing his balloon. I'd be fine even if you won't apologize to me but please..." She referred to Haknyeon who was still absorbing what she was trying to say.

She's too tired now.

"Hanyang, it's okay. I'll just pay you back! It's just a balloon, nothing big. Come on, let's head home!" Haknyeon, slightly furious, stood up.

Haknyeon dragged Hanyang away from the scene, slightly limping and shoved her in the car the moment they were at the parking lot.

"Hak, it's not like that—"

"It's just a balloon, Han! Come on! It's so humiliating to be watched by hundreds of people! You should've just let it slide and not cause further chaos for a good five minutes or whatever!" He hit the steering wheel and sighed before he inserted the key to start the engine.

Hanyang froze as she swallowed the lump in her throat. She got out of the car before Haknyeon could even drive, without even glancing back at her best friend.

Besides, it's just her neighbourhood. Their house is just a few blocks away. They just took the car to carry stuff.

Haknyeon got out and followed her, obviously frustrated and annoyed. "For Pete's sake just stop, Nam Hanyang!" He held her in the shoulders, trying his best for her to look him in the eye. "Look at me. Stop—"

"Leave me alone for now."

Before Haknyeon could even talk, Hanyang walked away until Haknyeon could not even see her shadows. He didn't follow, because if he did, it wouldn't make anything better, and of course, he sprained his ankle. He could just use his car but he knows it's not the time. He sighed and broke down.

°

Tomorrow, after all those holidays, classes will start again, and Hanyang and Haknyeon will meet again.

But it's not something either the two would be excited about.

Last Christmas in 2019, the two met again after the incident on the beach. Instead of going wild or being so excited after meeting for like 'years'  like normal friends do, they just awkwardly nod their greetings to each other.

It was a common trait for Haknyeon and Hanyang's family to celebrate Christmas together in both households. Both families would take place every other year to which household and where the other family would spend their Christmas. They had been doing this for the third time, since that time Haknyeon introduced his best friend, Hanyang, to his family.

Hanyang was adored by Haknyeon's mom, she was treated like a princess by his father, and she was treated like their own sister by his two sisters. She was treated like a family.

Since then, both families started meeting, spending their time together every 25th of December.

However, this Christmas was just not the happiest Christmas for the two families for the record.

Haknyeon's mom, even her sisters noticed how quiet her son was, it was unusual. And when it was time to eat, he wasn't that Haknyeon who would dig in even before the prayer could even end.

Mrs. Ju kept glancing back and forth to Hanyang and her son. She knew something was off.

"Dam Eon-ah, have you noticed a change in your daughter?", out of the blue, she asked Hanyang's mom as she took a bite of the roasted chicken.

"A change, what kind of change, Eun Chae?" Mrs. Nam confusedly asked.

"You know, if they had been acting weird recently." Mrs. Ju shrugged her shoulders and sliced another piece. "Because my son does."

Both Haknyeon and Hanyang froze in position but didn't show anything obvious and just kept eating.

Mrs. Ju whispered to her daughters who were seated on her right. "Something's fishy."

"It's the food mom." One of the girls pointed the fish on the table and Mrs. Ju just sighed.

"Oh yeah, Hanyang has been locking herself in her room. She won't even come down to have meals unless everyone's asleep." Mrs. Nam eyed her daughter who swallowed a big piece of chicken and ended up choking.

Haknyeon immediately turned his head to Hanyang and handed her his glass of water. Hanyang was hesitant at first but the thought of dying because of a piece of roasted chicken is too horrible for her.

Mrs. Ju cooed at the two displayed before them, placing down the utensils and her chin on the back of her intertwined hands. "What a sight it is..." She grinned, her daughters nodding eagerly in agreement, silently squeaking.

Haknyeon retreated in a flash at the embarrassment, a deep shade of red visible to his fluffy cheeks.

"Okay, what did I just noticed..?" Hanyang and Haknyeon's fathers, who were quiet the whole time, tilted their heads as if they were thinking the same thing.

°

"Where's Hanyang? I haven't seen her with you today." Haknyeon and Hanyang's classmate, Lee Gyul— one of the two girls who came to the beach, asked.

"No, we were in the same Science class this morning." The other one who was with Lee Gyul that day, Jung Arim, answered.

"That's odd."

"We fought."

"You what?! Seriously? I think I haven't seen you both get into a deep argument before, what happened?" Gyul exclaimed and Haknyeon emitted a long, deep breath. He's not in the mood to explain the whole story.

°

I saw Haknyeon in class today, he was quiet the whole time. If only he knows why I got so upset that day. Sigh, I miss him. I miss seeing him bright and not surrounded by dark clouds. It's so not motivating.

I'm actually quite afraid to approach him and fix everything with him, just so we could go back to what we were originally before. But I don't wanna feel rejected, so I decided not to until he approaches me first.

Haknyeon also had no idea. He thought his best friend just needed more time so he's trying his best not to disturb or even interact with her.

°

Everything happened for the past three weeks. Both had no idea that they're thinking of the same thing. It was just a matter of who will break down their pride and gather up their courage to approach one first.

Hanyang thought it had been too much for her to be away from her best friend. She's not her old self anymore, she can't be happy even if she forces herself to. Her days feel empty. It's just not the same.

After all the classes, instead of going straight home, she goes to a big tree that could see the whole view of the school and kill time before the school gates closes. She had decided she'll approach Haknyeon tomorrow and clear all the misunderstandings.

Write a letter!

Hi Hak, I'm truly sorry for leaving

you that day. I've missed you so

much. I missed your hugs, smiles,

and your laughter,

everything about

you... Please forgive me.

Hanyang paused from writing and sighed. She leaned her back onto the tree trunk and closed her eyes.

"If only you know I've liked you for years now, Hak. I feel like— dying without your presence near me." A solitary tear trickled down her cheek as she breathed and opened her eyes slowly, growing cautious as if someone had been staring at her for a long time.

"Holy fuck— it really is you, brat!"