Chapter: 23

Sunwoo woke up almost at noon.

Last week, he went shopping with his friends, and last night, both Eric and him went to the PC shop for 5 hours and slept really late.

He turned to the other side and stared at his phone that was laid on the side table.

As the usual thing he does to begin his morning, he pores over his phone, only to find 23 missed calls from Eric and 5 from Haknyeon.

Sunwoo immediately sat straight and opened the text message that Eric sent 10 minutes ago.

순영재 (Eric)

sent 10:45

CALL ME BACK!

The moment he read the text, Sunwoo immediately dialed Eric's number and changed his clothes and washed his face. Such sudden panicking made him do multitasking and it was a new thing for him since he was always a lazy bug.

Sunwoo thought it might be an emergency or something very important so he hurried until Eric finally picked up the phone.

"Eric?!"

"Hyung! What the heck?! Where were you? Come here already!"

"You have to tell me what's wrong! Are you okay?!" he blurted out worriedly, his hand on his forehead while waiting for Eric to respond again.

"Hanyang's about to board the plane! She got accepted yesterday and her flight was moved today. I don't know why they were such in a hurry but you have to catch up, idiot!"

W-What?

"Aight! I-I'm on my way!"

He turned off his phone in rush and grabbed his wallet. Sunwoo raced downstairs when his mom suddenly appeared on the staircase, shifting to every way out of Sunwoo's escape.

"Good morning, son!"

"Mom!" Sunwoo yelled frustratedly before he ruffled one side of his hair and looked at the time on his phone.

"What? I just wanna greet you a Happy birthday!"

Sunwoo's frown turned upside down.

"It's my birthday?" he pointed at himself and blinked repeatedly.

"Of course, how can you forget. Let's have breakfast already— wait, are you going somewhere?"

"Mom, thank you and I'm sorry I yelled at you, but I really need to go." he planted a kiss on his mom's cheek and ran out of his house.

Sunwoo waited for a cab impatiently; his feet stomping hard on the ground and his breathing getting heavy every seconds that passes by.

"Hanyang, why didn't you tell me it was today?" he gritted his teeth, just when he spotted a cab from afar. "TAXI!" he called, he got into the cab and told the driver to head straight to the airport. "I'll pay double, just move at a high speed, mister!"

"Woah, what's with you kid?" the driver turned to him and gave him an incredulous look before he turned on the engine. "I cannot go too fast, we might get caught—"

"Just please drive fast! I need to get there on time!"

"O-Okay, okay. You're obviously a young man— but are you on period or something? What's making you so fur—"

"HURRYYYYY!!!!"

°

After a couple of minutes, Sunwoo arrived and jumped out of the cab immediately— like a scene from a movie, after paying extra and entered the airport, panting really hard.

Sunwoo's too confused about how he's acting right now, but all he could think of is to hurry and catch up.

He wandered around and called Eric through the phone.

"Youngjae, where are you?"

"Sunwoo!" the three yelled his name in unison.

Sunwoo kept turning around to find where the voices came from since it echoed throughout the whole place.

"To your right!"

He stopped wandering and faced his right direction.

He ran with a frightful and nervous expression as he noticed Hanyang's not with the guys.

He roams his eyes first before he finally turned to his friends. "Where... is Hanyang?" he asked in between short gasps, his hands on his knees.

Eric and the others all heaved a mix of disappointed and sorrowful sigh. And by that, Sunwoo already knew the answer.

"She left already." Arim answered. "Haknyeon had to see her off with Hanyang's family."

"Shit. I overslept, I'm sorry..."

Eric turned to him frustratedly before he placed his hands on his hips, looking at Sunwoo in the eyes furiously.

"Seriously, hyung? You—"

"Hey!" Arim nudged her boyfriend and scowled at him before he could add something. "It's not his fault.
Don't blame him."

Haknyeon came back together with the Nam's and walked towards the group before he noticed Sunwoo. "You really came." he said briefly and then turned to the others. "Guys, I have to take Hanyang's parents home. Can you go on without me?"

"Sure. Take care, Haknyeon." Arim assured the latter before Haknyeon flashed them a small smile and left with Mr. and Mrs. Nam.

Gyul followed Haknyeon and Hanyang's parents with her gaze and turned to her friends. "We should go too." she trudged first, then followed by Arim.

Eric held his best friend by the shoulders and patted his back. "Let's go." He dragged Sunwoo who had just arrived until they reached the city again.

Gyul suggested to stop at a convenience store for a while after a long ass ride to the airport and back. It was physically and emotionally exhausting since they were woken up suddenly and unexpectedly and headed to the airport in a hurry to send off their friend who was on the tip of her dream.

Gyul cannot also believe the amount of trust Hanyang's parents put to their twenty-year old daughter to send her off alone to a foreign country she's not familiar with. Gyul and Arim are both the only child of their family, like Hanyang, but they couldn't relate to her too well.

Hanyang is too independent, while they are not.

Having to experience being grounded for things like skipping school and going out with people who aren't in the same standard level of living like their family and Arim's. Or get scolded for not getting a perfect mark on a test.

It was something both Gyul and Arim didn't want; under the authority of their parents and not have the chance to accomplish their own want's and need's in life.

Even Arim going out with Eric; it was something Arim's parents was so against about but Arim didn't want to also do the same thing to Eric— like what she did to her other dreams and just let her parents take him away from her.

Eric was someone who she can express her inner, true self and Arim cannot be more thankful for his existence. The word "happiness" only exist when she's with Eric and her friends.

Such things just makes Gyul and Arim to envy Hanyang. And they can't help but feel that way.