Chapter: 30

A week, two weeks, three, and it's the fourth one already.

Haknyeon-hyung is not the usual himself around us anymore, specifically around me.

We knew with the equal certainty that, he was hurt. He was emotionally hurt that time. And that he would distance himself, as much as he could to try to repress his feelings.

It's so weird and new for us to see him not gleaming so much brightness that brings so much honesty on what he's always feeling- and not doing the things he always does: like bouncing up and down when heading to the cafeteria together and all the other adorable acts he usually does intentionally and unintentionally.

His smiles are really the best. That must've been why Hanyang liked him for a reason. And also because of him and his smile, Hyunjoon slowly felt comfortable around us.

Haknyeon-hyung was precious. And an important need for basic comfort. We needed him.

We actually talk on a daily basis- around the group. But when I would have the chance to privately apologize to him, his mind would work hard, thinking of clever ways to avoid me in the end.

He would either call Gyul and Arim, and suddenly ask them to go with him to the cafeteria, or accompany Hyunjoon to the infirmary everyday and also became a regular at the place.

Not that Haknyeon-hyung doesn't usually do that, but he was obviously trying to avoid me alone.

When we gather, especially at lunch, Eric and Gyul would help by making the atmosphere lively and better by their stupid gags and make us all laugh.

But I was always aware that it was uncomfortable for both of us to laugh while being cautious of each other. As much as possible, he'd try to avoid eye contact with me.

I just wanted to talk...

One time, Eric suggested to kill time at the large school field when Hanyang suddenly called Haknyeon-hyung through the phone on our break.

I was so nervous.

I could finally hear her voice again.

My heart's beating is like a drum's. It just pounded really hard.

The thought of her made me feel giddy and I currently have forgotten about our situation.

But she suddenly asked something that made my heart drop.

"Who hurt him?"- was the first phrase she spoke that day. She was obviously not happy. I was scared.

If she was here, she'd probably have punched her fist to her palm already and stood for her best friend, ready to beat up the one who did him wrong.

And everyone unintentionally laid their eyes on me, maybe, pointing the person involved with this thing about Haknyeon-hyung.

Luckily, Haknyeon-hyung was quick into forcing Hanyang to believe that it was only a joke. And that nothing happened.

Little did Hanyang knew, that it was because of her, we were like this. We reached this point, because of her.

And she didn't respond.

But what really made me shudder is the tone of voice Hanyang is using.

"Your noona called me, Ju Haknyeon. She had heard your sobs in your room the whole night. What happened?"