The Law

A/N - I'm just about to throw myself off a bridge but that's not important! Ask some questions!

George's POV

   "The law? What law?" Henry frowned.
   "The one that says that the heir has to marry someone of royal descent." Henry frowned for a moment before nodding and shifting. 
   "What about the law?" 
   "Is there anyway we can change it?" 
   "Sir, there's no way we can-"
   "Henry, this is my son. Think your son! You saw the way they danced together! Surely you see-"
   "My son is dating the Kinloch boy now. He has made it clear to me that the Prince is not an option." 
   "Please, Henry?"
   "We can't."
   "Why not?" 
   "It's not possible."
   "Surely it is! We can take a look at the Constitution and-"
   "No."
   "Why not?"  
   "Because it isn't a law!" Henry snapped, I paused and stood up straight. 
   "What do you mean it isn't a law?" I growled. 
   "I mean it's a precedent. When the country first started they believe that you should marry of royal descent but it was never written." Henry sighed. 
   "So...I didn't have to marry Martha? My father didn't have to marry my mother?"
   "Um-...technically not unless a deal was struck by the arrangement." Henry sighed.
   "So Alexander doesn't have to marry Eliza?" 
   "In law, no, but it's too late to back off, sir. They're engaged. The Schuyler family will be furious."
   "I don't care. It's over." 
   "Sir-"
   "Henry." I warned, he shut his mouth and sighed. 
   "Yes, sir." 
   "Very good." I smiled, I left the room and swept through the halls straight to Alexander's bedroom.

Alexander's POV

   I heard a knock at the door and looked up from my studies. George poked his head in and I motioned for him to come in. He smiled as he approached and Kiki nuzzled my cheek. "I see you're getting on top of your studies again." George hummed, I nodded and he smiled. "That's very good." I smiled lightly and he sat on the edge of my bed. "I need to speak with you." I frowned and he huffed. "So...I was talking to John's dad-" I perked up at John's name and he smiled lightly. "-and I asked about..the law." I frowned and George sighed. "I tried to change it but-" I sniffed and hung my head. I didn't want to marry her. "No, no, no! Just listen! Apparently it wasn't a law to begin with." My head snapped up and George smiled. "You don't have to marry Eliza." My jaw dropped and tears started to stream down my face. "I'm sorry I didn't ask sooner. I truly thought it was the law and I-" I stood up and ran into my closet. I pulled on a pair of shoes, still in my nightgown, and George stood. "Alex, you can't-" I rushed out into the hall and he hurried after me. "Alex! Wait!" Meade came out of nowhere and stopped me. 
   "What's going on?" He asked.
   "I told him that-" I took advantage of Meade's distraction and took off again. I hurried out into the streets and shivered in the cold night air. Tears streamed down my face, clouding my vision and making my face colder. I ran, not caring that I was still in my nightgown. I had to get to him. She couldn't stop me anymore. I needed him. I didn't care what Eliza would say. I wanted him. I needed him. I didn't stop running until I came to the door. I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell, praying he'd open.