2. Exequies

The sky held more beauty than it had rights to. White puffy clouds that reminded Marny of cotton balls. Birds flying about as they chirped loudly in the pack cemetery. There were many trees to dance and flit about in.

Marny stood in her black dress, with Ruby in her arms. She looked down at the fake grass that led up to the hole in the ground. Wisps of her dark brown hair blowing about her face framed the hole in the ground quite interestingly. She found herself watching the view, as though it were a program on television. 

She felt so detached.

The ceremony had been over for almost an hour, but Marny couldn't let them lower the little coffin. Not yet. Greg stood by her side with his arm wrapped around the small of her back. He kept her balanced.

Marny had stopped weeping about twenty minutes ago. She still couldn't let them lower it. The pup in her arms began to wriggle as she woke. Marny felt her daughter moving and looked down into her face. She smiled vacantly at first but then her expression warmed as she waited for Ruby to open her eyes.

"I think she wants to eat." Greg whispered softly to his mate. He looked down as Ruby began to root for her mother's breast.

"Yes, I suppose it's time to go now. Isn't it?" Marny looked up at Greg's tender gray gaze, admiring the silver storms as she attempted another smile. 

She felt so guilty. 

Even though she knew he didn't blame her. Why did she feel so guilty?

Ruby began to cry. Her cry was not angry, but hungry. Greg turned Marny slowly around so they could walk back to the packhouse. It would take a while to get there, but Ruby had to eat anyway. Marny lifted her cover and adjusted her clothing. She helped the baby latch on while they walked slowly. She covered Ruby's face from the sun and looked up at Greg. Realizing he was watching them.

"Make sure she's covered, her heart mark, it gets really red when the sun hits it." Greg spoke low as he reached over to adjust the cover a little bit more. He knew that Marny had already taken care of it, but the need to protect the pup they had left was oppresively strong.

Marny nodded as her smile faded. They were blessed that they had Ruby, but she couldn't stop missing him. "Greg? I think we should talk about something."

"Of course Marny, anything, what's on your mind?" He looked troubled at hearing the insecure tone in his mate's voice. He pulled her a little closer as they walked.

"I think we should talk to the pack. I think that we should ask everyone, just ask them what they think first but, I think we should ask them not to mention little Conrad."

Greg looked startled at the request. So many things rushed through his mind quickly. Why was she asking this? Was the grief too much to bear? Did she want to erase their son? "I don't understand Marny, why would you want that? He is a part of us!" His voice bordered on anger, his wolf growling at the idea of their pup being forgotten.

"For Ruby. Think of her life, Greg! Everything she ever does, every monument in her life, she's always going to be missing him! I don't want her life colored by his death. I don't know if that makes any sense Greg, and maybe it's selfish. Maybe it is. I can't even breathe without thinking of him, even while I am holding and feeding this warm pup in my arms. I can't stop thinking of him. What if her life becomes nothing more than remembering that her brother died? I don't want that for her. I don't want it for me, I don't want it for you, but we have it already. She's so little and innocent." Marny's voice faded off as she checked under the cover. Her voice and breath caught as she saw that Ruby was looking right at her. Her pale blue gaze secured to her Marny's.