9. Frater Lupus ~ {Brother Wolf}

Marny woke up smiling. She'd had too much to do with the preparations for the pups fourth birth anniversary and her body was tired. Yet even with the exhaustion she couldn't help the joy that swelled in her belly just knowing they were heading to the Valley.

In the past four years they'd made many trips to Avia's house for visits and training. Even though Ruby was just a toddler, there were concepts and attitudes that were taught as well as ordinary magic. Latin was also included, something that little Ruby fussed with and was in deep competition with her brother, Luke.

The day was going to be warm. Marny could smell the way the sun heated the grass so early in the morning and it let her know the dew was already gone. She checked the monitor in Ruby and Luke's room to see if they were awake yet. Seeing them in their beds still, she yawned and got up to shower. She knew that Greg had gone into the office already. 

It was one of Greg's habits to leave his desk clean. As he signed a few transfers he noticed a particular return address on a letter in his stack of mail.  He lifted the envelope and opened it eagerly. Ripping out the letter he scanned it quickly before groaning and crumbling it up. He let it fall on his desk as he realized he'd reached another dead end.

Greg? Is everything alright? Marny asked him through their bond. She had felt his frustration and discontent. 

Good morning beautiful. Everything's fine, I just reached another dead end in our search. I really thought I had something this time, but it's like Luke just appeared out of nowhere. 

Greg had been trying to find information on the pack Luke originated from. The group of refugees that he arrived with had testified to finding him next to the torn apart bodies of two wolves with nothing but a blood-stained blanket. The blanket had the name Luke embroidered on one corner. They had assumed those wolves to be his parents and though they wondered why the pup was not killed, they took the pup with them to seek haven. 

If they didn't have a need to know, he wouldn't care where Luke came from. But this situation was far from normal. Luke didn't happen to be normal. On their first visit back to Avia's valley over three years ago, Avia had let them know that not only did Luke have a very strong wolf, he also had magic. Luke was also a witch.

At first, this was confusing to Marny and Greg. They had assumed that like Ruby, magic was only passed on to women. They believed that only women could be witches. Avia had to explain that in some families the magic was so powerful, it passed to every child. These families were usually known for having had dark dealings in the past to gain their power. This prospect was frightening to think of.

There were also known cases of magic appearing randomly in a wolf. These cases were deemed to be necessary blessings from the goddess. Though it could be frightening to know that the goddess believed she had a purpose for you, purpose enough to give you magic, it was a point of pride. You had been chosen.  

After the great war, many witch covens went into hiding and no longer kept their alliances with wolves. It was a sad effect of the breakup of the magical council that had previously governed the world. Everyone had an inclination to keep to themselves and their own kind, for safety.

I'll be home in a few. Greg spoke to Marny again as he finished up what he was working on. He made the quick walk to his house while enjoying the day just after dawn. It would be a great time for a run but they had to drive today. He couldn't wait to see Avia. She was like the mother he'd never had. And the valley, he slept better there than anywhere else. The trips were always a welcome change.

Greg entered his house and walked upstairs. He could hear the shower coming from his room but he also hears the kids talking. He peeked in on Ruby and Luke as they sat in front of Ruby's large dollhouse.