25. Fides ~ {Trust}

**This chapter includes content of a mature nature.

Ruby watched the curl of steam that left the full cup of tea in her hands. She didn't know when it was put there, she was focused on listening to the discussion between their parents. She sat at the edge of the bed, aware that Ryan was there sitting beside her. She could hear the content of the discussion but it all seemed so vague and far away. She knew she was drifting in her thoughts, reality had slipped into some sort of alternate dimension where her safety was in jeopardy.

Ruby turned her head slowly to look at her shoulder. Ryan's hand was there, resting, comforting her. She kept both hands around the cup of tea while she found her eyes lifting to find his face. She felt so relieved when their eyes met, her heart skipped as she found the emotion that was swirling around inside his gaze. She could see Beau there, shifting back and forth in his eyes. She knew his wolf was desperate to make sure she was alright. 

Evelyn Brose and Greg had come to a decision. They would consider it kindness and not coercion to remove the age barrier to her mate bond. Evelyn Brose had a spell for everything. Hearing the decision didn't cause Ruby to remove her eyes from Ryan's gaze, it did however cause a strange little giggle to erupt from her chest. The sound of the laugh was foreign and odd to Ruby, it widened her gaze and heated her blood. Ruby was aware that everyone was watching her then, they all wanted to know why she would laugh just then.

"Not to seem crass, but the spell to remove the age barrier to the mate bond? It's like.."
Ruby had to pause and close her eyes a moment, she might have appeared overwrought again but she was trying to suppress the laughter.
"It's like removing a magical hymen!"
Ruby finally squeaked out and then she pinched her eyes even more tightly closed to avoid seeing how anyone would look at her after that very off-color and possibly poorly timed joke. She couldn't stop herself from laughing. The entire predicament was so insanely tenuous, she had to find humor in something.

"Oh dear Goddess, I was worried you had gone into shock. I'm glad to see you are feeling a little better Ruby dear." Evelyn Brose walked over to Ruby and squeezed her shoulder lightly.

Ruby opened her eyes and looked from Ryan to her Papa. She knew he was worried. She offered him a smile and then let the smile actually reach her eyes. It was going to be fine. She turned her head to look at Evelyn Brose and offered her a smile too because, why not?

"Alright, let's give them space to get up to speed." Greg said. He wasn't about to use the actual terms for what was going to happen.

Ruby knew she was blushing, but she also knew that Mama Brose wasn't going anywhere until she took care of that spell. As if Evelyn had read Ruby's mind, she waved her mate and Ruby's father out of the room, then leaned over Ruby to murmur some words that Ruby didn't care to understand just then. She wanted to try and find some control in this and the only way to do that was by controlling herself. Everything else was beyond her.

Ruby felt Evelyn Brose kiss the top of her head and she smiled, she imagined it was her Mama's kiss. 

"Thank you, Mama Brose." Ruby kept her smile as the woman headed for Ryan's door.

"Your welcome Ruby dear. Oh, just for your own peace of mind, I spelled the room to be soundproof for the night. I'm not sure how safe that is considering if anyone were somehow to get through all the spells and enchantments to open a portal into this room, I'm sure it will be fine. No worries darlings." Evelyn Brose closed the door behind her to leave Ruby and Ryan alone.

Ruby watched as Ryan stood to lock the door and she drank from her teacup. It was lukewarm now and easily finished.

"You were supposed to sip that." Ryan admonished her lightly.