3. Cera Sigillum ~ {Wax Seal}

Being alone with Ruby gave Marny too much time to think. She found herself watching the clock as she looked for things she could do in between Ruby's naps. Ruby was a sleepy baby. Marny often wondered if Conrad would have been the same. After Marny had put Ruby down for an evening nap, she decided to go through condolence cards that had arrived by mail. There were cards from other Alphas and Lunas or both depending on how close their friendships were. The Dark River Falls pack had many alliances.

The pack was an amalgamation of four smaller packs. Before the great war the bands of roaming rogues had led Greg's grandparents to petition the others. An alliance was formed. When the Dark River Falls land was won, the packs merged. 

The alpha challenge was not traditional. As there were four alphas willingly joining their packs to become one, they devised a friendly competition. Their positions were won based purely on inside information and influence. They all took their risks in the booming pre-war markets. As physical prowess existed in all four, they played the stocks instead. As they were all highly competitive, and well vested, the rewards were great.

They chose their winner and the winner assigned the positions of Beta and Delta. The loser of the game was given the title of War Commander. In essence, the hardest working position in the pack. 

Marny opened each card slowly. She was careful to slide the letter opener under the flaps of envelopes instead of cutting them open at the top. It was the meticulous nature of the task that kept her occupied enough not to cry. After she'd opened six cards, Marny came across an envelope that looked different than the others. The paper was thick, and coarse. Fragments of pulp could be seen and the ink was surprisingly set well for such rough paper. 

The envelope was sealed with wax, something Marny hadn't seen before. "I wonder if it's magic"  Marny's wolf thought as Marny used the letter opener to try and lift the seal from the paper. "It very well may be magic, because this wax doesn't want to lift." Marny answered as she set the letter opener down and used both thumbs to break the seal of the wax. "Nothing happened?" Her wolf asked as Marny watched to see if any glittery essence would appear. 

She didn't know what to expect. 

After a minute had passed Marny lifted the envelope again and carefully opened the flap. As she opened the envelope she realized it was a letter and not a card. It was then that she felt her mate's presence. The sweet tickling of her senses as he neared prompted her to set the envelope down. She rushed to meet Greg at the door. 

"I'm so happy you are home." Marny cooed into Greg's neck right after she attacked him in a vigorous embrace. She inhaled the scent of him deeply.

"Mmm, my love. It's good to be home. You shouldn't be jumping around like that, it hasn't even been a week since you had the pups." Greg held her with one arm while he set his briefcase down. He used his other arm then to lift her up, carrying her to the living room where Ruby was in her bassinett. "How is our little princess?" Greg asked as he kissed lightly to Marny's ear. He set her down on the couch then leaned to peek at Ruby. 

"She sleeps so well. She ate about a half hour ago, which means I have about another half hour before she wants to eat again. Are you hungry? I could make you something." Marny stood from the couch and was about to head into the kitchen when Greg's hand on her arm stopped her.

"I can make us something, I want you to rest." He wanted her better but knowing what was behind his motive gave himself pause. He held guilt for thinking it but the loss was so prevalent. It shadowed everything in his sight. He wanted her to be well because he loved her, but also because he wanted to make another son. He couldn't stop thinking about Conrad and he knew he had to fill that feeling of missing.