4. Perdidit Clamor ~ {Lost Cry}

The next week passed without trouble. In much the same way as the first day that Greg had gone back to work. He did not take any days off. Every evening Josie would come over after dinner. It was then that Greg and Marny would shift and run. After they ran for an hour they would always end up at the pack cemetery. They would lay atop the grave and nuzzle each other in their grief, letting their wolves mourn for their firstborn pup. Greg never let them stay for more than half an hour. He would stand and nuzzle Marny up to her feet and the two would run back to their house. It was the following week that things would change.

One night, when the moon was full, Marny sat up in bed. She had been abruptly awoken from what she thought had been a deep sleep. All of her senses were on overdrive. She tasted the air to see if there was an intruder, she could smell nothing. She slid away from Greg's arm, rousing him immediately. He lifted up on his elbow, watching Marny as she checked Ruby. 

"Ruby?" Marny's voice was unsure, her hand reached for Ruby to see if she could feel her breathing. 

Greg turned on the light and stood to walk over to the bassinett. "Is she alright?" He sounded worried. 

Ruby was looking up with wide blue gaze. She seemed to be watching something that Greg and Marny could not see. Marny laid her hand to Ruby's belly, gently rubbing to catch her attention. Ruby continued to stare at the ceiling. After a minute Ruby's eyes closed and Marny and Greg looked at each other with worry in their gaze. It was then that Ruby's little body, began to convulse.

The tremors began with her hands, her fingers folding in and straightening oddly. Then her little hands began to shake, her whole body following.

Marny shrieked and moved Ruby to her side. She kept her hand holding her there gently while she knelt down to get her face close to Ruby's ear. "Easy Ruby, Mama is here, Daddy is here, you will be alright. Come back to us Ruby, you can do this little wolf, come back sweet girl."

Marny cooed sweet things into her ear until the spasms stopped. Once they stopped the crying began. Marny lifted Ruby up and looked at Greg while Ruby began to wail in a manner that neither of them had heard before.

"We have to take her to the hospital." Marny stated as she started to walk for the door. Gregs hand reached out to stop her.

"You have to get dressed, at least a robe, first." Greg took the wailing Ruby from Marny's arms  while she dressed. Then handed her back so he could dress too. They were out their front door within five minutes. 

Ruby did not stop wailing during the trip to the hospital. Marny was in tears by the time they arrived and Greg was frantic to soothe his daughter. They walked into the emergency department and straight to triage. The nurse there was soothingly concerned in trying to get all the answers she needed to admit Ruby. After all her vitals were taken they were escorted to one of the rooms in the department.

Marny spoke softly to Ruby's ear while she rocked on her feet. Her worried eyes caught Greg's gaze frequently. Greg set his hand to Marny's back while she rocked. They both watched the door for the Dr. as Ruby continued to wail. Marny tried to offer her breast to the pup but Ruby wouldn't have it, she was inconsolable. Marny lifted Ruby to her shoulder and rubbed her hand over her back as she swayed back and forth slowly.

"What's happening Greg? I feel like, something is tearing at Ruby. Can you feel it? It's like a tangible force." Marny kept her voice as calm sounding as possible. She didn't want to further stimulate Ruby.

"I don't know Marny, I've never heard a pup cry like this before. Are you sure she doesn't want to eat? Maybe she has colic? I've heard of colic, it can cause unexplainable crying." Greg stepped to the door of the room and looked out to see if the Dr. was anywhere near them yet.