11. Paulo Loqui ~ {A Little Talk}

They were halfway home when Ruby noticed Ryan's car was behind them. She looked in the rearview mirror then turned all the way around to be sure.

"Luke, I kinda thought Ryan was just messing with Savanah at lunch. It looks like he's really going to talk to Papa. Um..." Ruby faced forward in her seat again while she thought for a moment. "Just give me a second to warn him, I'll run in, you stall Ryan and I'll give Papa a heads up." Ruby reached over to squeeze his arm as they pulled into their driveway.

"You got this Ruby, don't worry, I'll take care of Ryan." Luke chuckled as he saw Ryan looking nervous as he got out of his car.

Ruby dashed out of Luke's car and ran into the house. The screen door slammed in protest. She ran into her Father's office and shut the door quietly, locking it. She then turned around and took a seat in front of him. She folded her hands in her lap and bent her legs to sit the ladylike way she'd been trained. She gave him a cheesy smile as he began to eye her actions over the paper he was reading.

"How may I help you young she-wolf?" He always made her smile. She relaxed immediately and began to prattle.

"I just wanted to let you know how my day went since you know, you like to know about developments in my development. Things like that. So a senior sniffed me today."

Her father raised his eyebrow and looked at her with a little growl sounding from him.

"What do you mean by that, Ruby Blackwell?" He looked at her with such an imposing gaze she had to calm him down a little.

"HE totally did Papa! He leaned right in and sniffed my hair! In front of everyone! Luke and Dillon and even Arlo were there. Then, this totally mean Senior girl started harassing him and insulting me. She said I had no breasts, all kinds of drama. Hold on, I have to breathe."

Ruby took a few big breaths and tried to calm down. It was a minute before she continued and Greg was looking at her curiously.

"He turned eighteen last week. He's been trailing me around since. Uh, he wanted to meet me after school and I told him I'm not allowed, but that he could come to talk to you if he wanted. I was not being serious, I really didn't expect him to do that." Ruby winced just a little as she offered him a forced smile.

"He's outside isn't he?" Greg asked in a very droll voice.

"Yeah, he's outside. OK, good talk. I will catch ya later. Good luck with Ryan!" Ruby stood up and hurried over to his office door.

"Ruby Blackwell, aren't you forgetting something?" Greg asked her in a very stern voice.

Ruby turned around quickly and rushed to her father's side. She leaned over and pressed her cheek to his cheek and then kissed his cheek as she pulled back.

"I love you, Papa."

"I love you too, Ruby. Now send this young man in." Greg put the papers down and sat back in his chair. He wondered if he remembered Ryan.

Ruby unlocked the door and left it open. She walked back out to the front door where Luke was nowhere to be found. She walked over to the front door and opened it and was surprised that Ryan was still standing there.

"Hey, my Papa's ready for you." Ruby opened the door and gestured to the hallway. "It's the first open door, you'll see him." Ruby resisted the temptation to follow him, and instead, she perched halfway up the stairs. She was out of sight, but could still hear she hoped.

Once Ryan had walked inside the office Ruby's Father told him to shut the door. Ruby scowled to herself as Luke joined her on the stairs. Both of them would listen intently.