30. Proditione ~ {Betrayal}

"I'm exhausted, Heart. I can't go any further, please just let me rest for a minute." Ruby panted the words out. 

"No time to rest Ruby. We are out of time. You must be ready." Heart paced back and forth in front of Ruby. She sniffed the air and whimpered, laying down in front of her. 

"Remember Ruby, no matter what happens I will not leave you. I am bound to you. Nothing can separate us."  Heart laid her head down on Ruby's feet.

"I won't forget, but don't worry. I am not going anywhere." Ruby lowered to sit cross-legged, lifting Heart's head to her lap. She stroked and scratched behind her ears.

"I pray you are right."

~~~

"Kieran! Cassy! We are being attacked! Quick! Guard the door!" Jude shouted as he thrust the door open and hurried to Ruby's side. 

Kieran's wolf erupted almost instantly, forcing a half shift as Cassy hurried to step outside the door. Kieran gained control once more to speak.

"Details!" He shouted as he stood at the door, watching both Jude and Cassy.

"Rogues, hundreds! I don't know how but there were vans pulling up as I ran in. I assume they are here for her!" Jude was securing Ruby's leads but he stopped to walk over to the door. 

"I'll lock it from the inside. As protocol dictates, I will wait for the all-clear from Alpha before opening the door. I'll keep her safe Kieran." Jude shut the door and locked it. He then engaged the second lock which would not easily allow the door to be smashed open. 

He could hear the sounds of battle from below. His mind was full of orders between the warriors of the pack. The link was going crazy as the pack was attacked on all sides. Jude tried to monitor the interactions for key phrases but he had much more to take care of. He threw back the shower curtain then turned the shower on full blast. He adjusted the temperature to warm and then fixed the showerhead so that the spray was as wide as possible. 

He hurried back to Ruby's bedside and untethered her from her monitor. He wrapped her duvet around her so she was covered and then returned to the shower. A pair of arms were extended from the water. After handing Ruby to the pair of arms, Jude returned to the bed to retrieve the monitor and hurried back to the shower. He stepped into the water expecting to walk through the portal that Ruby had been carried through just moments before. 

"FUCK!" Jude shouted. He shut off the water and tried to figure out what to do. He'd been betrayed! He'd agreed to help and they'd promised his freedom. 

He set the monitor down beside the bed and walked over to the door. He was not a patriot, he was just greedy. They'd told him he could stay with her, that he could care for her. She'd be his only patient. They'd lied and now he'd lost her. He opened the door and looked at Kieran, knowing he might not survive this conversation.

"They took her. She's gone. Tell Ryan."  Jude got seven words out before he was pushed aside and Kieran tore through the room to see that Ruby was gone.

The roar that went through the pack was felt as much as heard. Kieran wasn't able to hold back Brother and shifted. Brother ran down the stairs of the house, he didn't know where he was running to but he had to start somewhere. Cassy wanted to run after him but she was stopped by Evelyn Brose.

"Wait, Cass, they didn't take her through the forest. They took her through a portal. We need three for the mirror. Get two of the others up here quickly." Evelyn Brose began to pace the hallway.