4

Chapter 4 Rowan POV

It seemed like he just fell asleep to be awoken by Fenrys drawl shouting at everyone in the house. The house consisted of Fenrys, Connell, Lorcan, Aedion, and himself. The house was provided by the twins parents. Right morning weights. Then conditioning on the field.

Everyone met in the kitchen to get pre workout. Then started the walk to the athletic building.

"Sooo, Aedion. Your cousin single?" It was too early for his bullshit.

"Fenrys, she's going through a rough breakup. Don't mess with her." Fenrys held his hands up in defeat.

"Elide told us you haven't seen her in years. Why is that?" I couldn't help my curiosity.

"It's a difficult story. And like Elide said last night. It's up to Aelin to which she shares it with. But when she left she didn't really have a choice." I wanted to push for more information but Lorcan caught my eye and shook his head.

After weights we got sent to the track. Off in the distance I saw a girl already jogging around. She soon caught everyone's attention. The team started snickering and talking about her. But when she rounded the corner I noticed it was Aelin. She ran by us and winked.

"Boys she's off limits." Aedion growled.

"And why do you get to decide that?" Asked Chaol.

"She's my cousin. And she wouldn't get with any of you anyway."

Coach Brullo came up to Aedion, "Your cousin is Aelin Galathynius?" Aedion nodded in confirmation. "She was Terrasens best sprinter on their track team. Do you think she would like to try out for us?"

"I'm not sure but I'll mention it to her."

Aelin POV

Waking up due to a nightmare I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to start running again. Running from all my problems and myself.

I was finished with my workout but then the football boys come out and I didn't want to run inside just because they were there. So I decided to do a couple of extra laps.

When I got done Coach Brullo stopped me before I could walk back to the dormitories.
"Miss Galathynius, are you interested in running for Rifthold? If so tryouts are in two weeks. You'd be a great asset to the team. Your times are still holding record at this track."

"Thank you. I'll think about it."

"If you make the team I can see about getting you more scholarships." Thanking him once more I left to get ready for my first day of class.

Quickly getting ready I left for my first class. I was wearing a loose fitted shirt that said 'book nerd' and some leggings. After I long day I finally got time to go to the library.

I ran into Dorian Halliavard. Our parents used to meet for business discussions due to them both being mayors over Ardalan and Terrasen. They'd have Dorian and I play together as children. Well this is just great. More people from my past.

"Aelin? This is the last place I expected to find you? How are you? Long time no see." His beautiful sapphire eye shown with glee.

Smiling back, "I'm doing better. And I just transferred. Today is my first day. And yeah, you wanna grab coffee sometime and catch up?" Dorians eyebrow rose "As a friend Halliavard. I'm not looking for anything right now but I'll let you know if I do." Leaving him with a wink

Walking back to my dorms I got a call. For some reason I didn't look at the Caller ID before answering.

Rowan POV

He turned the corner to go to the library and stopped. Backing up he over heard Aelin say into her phone "... I gave up everything. Everything for you.... no no you knew..... how am I supposed to trust that?..... thats bullshit, you're a liar....." Rowan couldn't make out what the other person was saying. But it sounded like the person was pleading. "No. I can't trust you. You took everything. Trust me I want to. I want to love you. I want to come home to you but I can't. And it's all your fault." She hung up the phone and sunk to the ground. Tears spilling over.

He went over to her squatting in from if her. "Hey you alright?"

Her piercing eyes looked at me. Like she couldn't really see me. "Yeah. Just drama with an ex."

"I can understand about problematic ex's. Do you need to talk to someone?" 

"Why would I talk to someone, if I don't know their name? But I'm assuming you know who I am since I saw you next to Aedion this morning."

"Uh, yeah. We're roommates. I'm Rowan. Rowan Whitethorn." He looked for the normal reaction when someone heard his name. He was the star running back for the football team. Anyone at the school would know who he was. But Aelins face did not change. It was foolish but I couldn't help myself. "Do you want to come back to the house with me? I'm sure—"

Anger flashed in Aelins eyes. "Excuse me? You see me sitting here wallowing in self pity and you have the audacity to ask if I want to go back to your house with you? What? Does the star football player not have any other girl he can get." She got to he feet, staring down at him. "I'm not some damsel that needs rescuing." With that she took off.

Quietly to myself I said. "That's not what I meant." But she was already gone. Then I remembered where I've seen her before. But it couldn't be right? Her past wasn't that dark..