Aria Alvarez

I threw my coat on before I wrapped my off-white scarf around my neck, which was already fully covered with my dress which contained a turtle neck. Lastly I put on my white boots which reached slightly over my knee.

I always loved winter season growing up. It doesn't contain sweaty hands. You can eat anything at any time of the day without worrying about it making you feel hot. I mean who doesn't enjoy a warm cup of hot chocolate in front of the fire place. And my favourite of all, the scenery outside. Don't get me wrong, I love a sunny day outside. But I wouldn't think twice if I had to trade it for a snowy one.

I had told my mum about me going out the day I made plans with Melissa, but just in case she forgot I send her a message before leaving the house. As I opened the doors of my house I was instantly greeted by wind waving around. I stretched out my hand catching a few drops of snow. Immediately after I took out my AirPods and placed them in my ear. I had a playlist planned for a day like today. It was 4 PM yet there was no sign of the sun outside. It was dark instead, it looked like what midnight looks like in summer just with snow. Beautiful.

Walking towards the street my driver blocked my way "Ma'am do you want me to drop you off?" I shook my head as I replied "I'm taking the bus. But thank you Emmanuel." His eyes widened in surprise and he asked me again making sure I was not joking around. And I gave him the exact same answer.

I walked over to the nearest station to my house, leaving my trail of footsteps behind in the snow. I just wanted to enjoy the scenery, outside of my car. Especially in the dark. I love the night, everything seems just so much better at night. I was told to keep my sleeping schedule healthy, so I could not go out at night for much of my teen years. Maybe that's another reason why I loved Jaydon so much. He was my reason to escape from things I didn't enjoy. He got me out of unnecessary study sessions. He came to pick me up at whatever time he wished to. And my parents would allow it, because apparently he had a good influence on my behaviour. That was my parents way of saying that he had the money and status we could use. We don't have any less status of ourselves. But fame just isn't enough for my parents. Sometimes I wonder if they would restrain me from marrying the man that I love just because he's some average guy with an average status. Who am I kidding, they would probably pay him to stay away from me. And which man doesn't love money.

I stepped out of the station where Melissa told me she'd be waiting. I looked around to see where she was standing, and when I couldn't land my eyes on her I took out my phone to text her. But instead two long arms wrapped around me from behind. "Oh my god, look at you babe!" she said out loud, making me chuckle. I turned around and hugged her once again "Thank you, beautiful." We both stood at the station for around ten minutes just laughing and complimenting each other.

"No, because I literally told you, you should go to winter prom with us." Before declining I let out a scoff. "You know my parents think of those as a waste of time. And besides I think they're right." Melissa deliberately shook her head. "Memories are not a waste of time. You will not relive this when you're a lawyer. The only thing you will have are these memories to look back on." I formed a genuine smile on my face, only thinking about it makes me feel like I'm leaving out.

"At least I'll have you, to send me pictures while I'm studying about the functions of the thalamus." I let out a chuckle while she sighed into the air. "I will sneak you out Aria. Have it or not." she said as we entered the warm coffee shop. We were immediately greeted by the cozy atmosphere that was flowing around the cafe. Melissa headed over the counter and ordered our usuals. "That'd be 13 pounds." Melissa reached for her card in her purse but I immediately pushed up front to pay for it, as my hands were already resting on my dad's Halifax. "You did not have to do that! You always pay." She groaned while I just smiled as I placed the card back into my purse. "You know I got it."

We sat at the nearest table empty, and waited for our names to be called out. And it wasn't long after. Melissa went to grab both our warm coffee, and got back seated. I took the first fresh sip of the hot liquid as she started speaking. "I have to mention how cute you and Alonzo look together. However you guys are like solar opposites. I mean will your parents even approve of someone like him?" I raised my brows in confusion and asked "What do you mean someone like him."

"Babe please, everyone knows he deals. And his situation at home isn't ideal as far as I have heard." I placed my drink near on the table and again questioned "From whom have you heard what?"

"Well you know, it's been going around since freshman year he joined the school. I don't know who started it but apparently he's an orphan who was adopted by some junkies." she sipped her drink as she slowly looked back up at me again. "Oh my god, he didn't tell you a thing did he? Aria, babe never judge a book by its cover. I mean you shouldn't have dated him blindly just because he's attractive, should've done your research." she scoffed.

"No Melissa. The expression on my face was caused by whoever started that bullshit story. You don't think anyone has made a rumour like that about me?" she shook her head as she spoke "Your parents are well known who would do that."

"Exactly. Instead they used my academic background. Jonathan Itlan told some random kid from drama club I bought my way in. And you know how that went."

"Aria, his parents were never-"

"Melissa, that's enough. You're talking about the man I love."

She shrugged and continues emptying her drink as I joined her.

"Did you see Michele's boob job?" she asked. 

"It's horror." I confessed as we both burst out laughing.

Me and Melissa go way back. Melissa is not a comforting friend. She carries drama with her. She hardly keeps her mouth shut. But she is not the type to sit around and pity you. Maybe that's what kept me attached to her. We always had a laugh when together, but whenever I told her something deep, she would act like nothing happened the next second. I don't need pity. It makes me feel weak. I have dissociated myself from the word weak.