Alonzo Auclair

As we cuddled in bed, I couldn't resist the urge to run my fingers through her silky hair. She let out a soft moan and snuggled closer to me. I leaned down and kissed her neck, trailing my lips down towards her collarbone. Aria let out a giggle and pushed me away playfully.

"Alonzo, we can't keep doing this. We need to get some sleep," she said with a smile.

I pulled away, wrapping my hands around her stomache as she rested her head on my chest. "Tell me something about you Auclair." she said catching me off guard. "I'll answer anything you want, love. You just need to ask." she laid silent for a second. If I didn't have my hand on her stomache I wouldn't believe she was even breathing.

"Why don't you like red?"

...
...
...
...

I froze. I never expected her to ask me that question. For a brief moment, I debated whether to tell her the truth or come up with some lame excuse.

I took a deep breath and said, "My mother got killed by my dad right in front of me."

Aria's eyes widened in shock. A small gasp escaped her mouth before she slapped her hand to her mouth.

I could feel the emotions welling up in my eyes as I continued, "It happened when I was just 12 years old. My parents were arguing, and things got out of hand. My dad had always been abusive, He used to spend his money on drugs, alcohol, intoxicant, we were barely left with anything. He came home late at night, losing money. Whoever crossed his eyes first, he'd beat them. So either my mom or me. But that night, it was worse. He had a knife in his hand, and he just...he just lost it. He stabbed my mother multiple times, and I was just frozen in fear. I couldn't do anything to stop him."

I paused, trying to keep my emotions in check. Aria squeezed my hand, silently encouraging me to continue.

"After he killed her, he just left her there on the living room floor. For days, I had to live in that house with my dead mother lying there. The wooden floor was covered in red, each day her body turning blue. I was terrified and traumatized. But I didn't know what to do. I was just a kid. I was took weak. I was too scared to call the cops because I knew my dad would kill me too. He already beat me everyday, cause my mother was gone. The worst part? That fucked didn't even know he killed her. He made up a whole story in his head that I was the one that killed her. And fucking hell, Aria, I allowed myself to believe that."

My voice cracked as I recalled that horrific memory. Aria pulled me closer and rubbed my back soothingly.

"But after a few days, he went crazy and started screaming and throwing things around the house. I knew I had to call for help. The cops came and dragged him away. They found my mother's body and cleaned up the mess. I was taken in by my neighbor, Dave, who became my legal guardian. And since then, I've been living with him. Well until I joined uni of course."

Aria was silent for a moment, taking in everything I had just told her. I could see tears in her eyes, and it broke my heart to see her cry because of me.

"I had no idea, Alonzo. I'm so sorry," she said, her voice filled with genuine compassion.

I wiped away a stray tear and replied, "I love you, Aria."

She smiled and kissed my cheek. "I love you too, Auclair." she said between all her muffles.

We fell back into a comfortable silence, but this time, it felt different.