Chapter 40:Broken Promise

*I cried while writing this chapter, so I hope you enjoy lol*

"Ha Uno!" Trixie laughed as she put down her last card. Maria smiled and shook her head.

"Another game huh?"

"Do you want to play another game? Something you can win?"

"Nope, we are gonna play this until I win a game."

"She still beating you Maria?" Ivan walked into the house, bringing in the mail.

"Yes, I don't know how. How about you come play Ivan?"

"No, thank you. I'd like to keep my dignity."

"Oh, come on Ivan. Come play with Maria and I, it'll be fun. I know you get bored cleaning guns and knives."

"Ms. Zamolodchikova has quite the collection so I don't think so."

"Alright, suit yourself. Maria you deal the cards, I'm going to get us some snacks." Trixie stood up and walked to the kitchen, grabbing a bag of chips.

"Uh Trixie?" Maria called from the living room.

"I'm coming." Trixie grabbed two sodas from the fridge along with the chips and cookies. "Hey, I didn't know what you wanted so I got..what is she doing here?" Trixie stopped, staring at Mrs. Zamolodchikova. "Katya isn't here, you should call her if you want to speak with her."

"I'm not here to see Katya. I'm here to speak with you." Trixie walked to the coffee table that her and Maria were sitting at, putting all of the snacks down.

"Me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Could we talk in private?"

"Is something wrong? Did Katya's flight get delayed, or did she send to you tell me that she will be spending a few more days?" Mrs. Zamolodchikova looked down, avoiding Trixie's eyes. "What..what's wrong?"

"Feliks called a..and..Katya's car was found on the side of the road, on fire. She crashed..and didn't survive."

"W..what?" Trixie stared at Mrs. Zamolodchikova, her legs going shaky and her heart breaking. Maria jumped up, catching Trixie as she fell to the ground. The house was filled with her blood chilling screams and cries. Mrs. Zamolodchikova looked at the young woman, feeling pain for her. She knew this feeling. "You're lying, she isn't dead. She promised! She promised that she would come back. You are nothing but a liar. Get out! Get out now!" Trixie screamed at Katya's mother, hot tears running down her face. Ivan came rushing into the living room, a look of confusion on his face. Maria looked into his eyes and he knew.

"Mrs. Zamolodchikova, I will drive you home." Ivan put his arm around the older woman, gently leading her to the door. She turned back and with a broken voice, she spoke.

"I am very sorry Trixie."

***

Trixie laid in bed, under the covers. She had stopped crying but still felt nothing but pain. It had been four days since she had received the bad news. She hated that the world kept turning. It upset Trixie that time kept going even though it felt like her world had not only stopped, but had completely fallen apart. "Trixie, you need to come out of there. You need to eat, you haven't eaten in four days sweetie." Maria sighed as she put her hand on the locked door. "I am here for you Trixie."

"Is she still not coming out?"

"No. Ivan, I don't know what to do."