2.3 - The Truth Revealed

~~*~~

Although Cali was still worried about Jim facing consequences for his fairly obvious cheating, he still happily joined Jim at the bar not too much later that evening. The two were sat on stools at the bar next to each other, both having changed from their uniforms into their usual bar clothes and were drinking their beers together.

"To my victory." Jim announced, lifting up his bottle for Cali.

Although the other man didn't like the fact that Jim had cheated, especially since he was certain that Jim knew that Spock was the one who had programmed the test, he still brought his bottle up to meet Jim's. "To you're cheating." He agreed in slight amusement.

"Oh, come on Cal, you have to admit, it was clever of me to cheat. No one's done that before."

"No, they haven't." he admitted with a shake of his head, "For a good reason."

Cali would never admit it to Jim, but he was extremely impressed that Jim had managed to hack into the program and recode it to work in his favour, even if he didn't approve. Though, Cali couldn't work out how. He'd witnessed Jim's coding skills first-hand on the assignment he had helped him with. Although he wasn't terrible, he was pretty terrible. Cali had to assume he had help. Plus, how else would he have started the programming from the captain's seat without help.

His mind drifted to Gaila. The poor girl obviously had fallen hard for Jim. She thought she loved him, if Jim's retelling of last night was anything to go by, though Cali couldn't blame the girl for falling for the playboy. He'd be a hypocrite if he did, likely having fallen just as hard for his partner. Gaila did have very good coding skills. Cali felt uncomfortable in the knowledge that Jim might have tricked her into it, not sure if the sweet girl he had met a few times would really willingly help him cheat on the test.

"Jim!" Speak of the devil, and she shall appear. Jim and Cali turned their heads to the entrance to see Gaila smiling sweetly as she entered. "Cali." She added on quickly, having also spotted him.

"Hi Gaila, how are you?" Cali replied politely, smiling warmly back at her.

"I'm good. Just came to congratulate you on your victory Jim." She replied, smiling even brighter as she looked at Jim.

"Yeah, thanks." Jim replied, suddenly slightly awkward sounding. Cali wasn't sure if it was because his fears were true, or if it was because he hadn't spoken to the girl since she had confessed her love for him.

"No worries, I'm glad I could help you." She smiled, making Jim's eyes widen.

But, before he could say anything, Cali jumped in, eyes furrowed into a frown, and questioned what she meant.

"We helped him with the coding last month, remember?" She questioned innocently before immediately regretting her words as she seemed to remember that no, Cali wouldn't remember, because he wasn't aware that he had helped them.

"Excuse me?" Cali questioned, turning from Gaila to his partner, suddenly looking less amused by the girl's slip up.

Jim's eyes widened as he looked between his boyfriend and Gaila, who was looking wide eyed and apologetic behind him. Trying to think of something, he smiled awkwardly, "Poor Gaila, she got confused, see it was the assignment you helped us on."

"James." He replied warningly, looking dangerously still.

"Yeah... The assignment... That was actually the Kobayashi Maru program..." Jim looked at Cali with fearful hope, but winced as Cali stood up silently from his seat, placing his bottle down slowly.