2.1 - Several Weeks Later

~~*~~

Several weeks after the rumours about Cali and Spock overwhelmed Cali, things were looking up again. Cali was finally closer to being back to his old self again. While he wasn't perfect, still having a sinking feeling like something was missing deep within his heart, he was able to fake the rest in order to fool everyone who didn't know him.

Of course, Jim did know him. While he was proud of Cali for getting himself back onto his feet after his long depressive episode, Jim knew that Cali had been very close with Spock. Especially since he was thinking about dating him, something Jim had realised Cali didn't do very easily even if it had seemed their relationship had been fast. The loss of the relationship was hurting Cali more than he wanted to admit, and Jim knew it. He tried to help him in any way he could, being an emotional support pillar for his boyfriend, but there were some things he just couldn't fix, no matter how much he wanted to.

Bones was also worried about Cali's mental and physical health. He had finally been filled in on the entire situation by Jim, after Cali said it was alright. He'd been keeping an eye on him whenever Jim wasn't able to. He wasn't sure when, but he had started caring deeply for his friend's boyfriend, seeing him as a little brother.

Spock, no matter how much he tried to ignore the silver-haired-man both in and out of their lesson's together, was also able to see through Cali's fake happy persona that he was constantly portraying. Especially since he too could feel the loss of the bond they had formed. He found himself wanting to talk to the cadet, to somehow help him find his real smile again, the one Spock could easily admit he preferred. However, he knew he couldn't. Neither of them could risk people seeing them close. All because of a false rumour that had gained too much personality. Spock truly hated the academy sometimes.

~~*~~

Cali, Jim, and Bones were walking between lessons. They'd begun meeting up between lessons to walk together shortly after everything happened, Jim and Bones wanting to check up on Cali, while just he liked having the support of them when he around in places where he could bump into his classmates. 

Of course, Cali wouldn't tell them that. It might worry them. He may have been trying to open up more to them both, especially Jim, but it was still hard for him to rely on anyone after being told to hide how he felt so not to bother those around him for so long.

As Jim walked, it seemed he had a skip in his step, a large smug smirk on his lips making both Bones and Cali look at him suspiciously. Bones turned to the his friend, raising an eyebrow to see if he knew what was making Jim so cheerful, but only got a shaking head as response. 

Turning his eye back to Jim, he questioned it sceptically just as they reached some downwards stairs, "Why are you so happy?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Jim denied with a dismissive smirk, but neither Cali nor Bones were convinced.

"No, I don't suppose you do." Bones mumbled under his breath in annoyance causing Cali to laugh.

"Love, have you done something you weren't meant to again?" Cali questioned with a joking smile.

"No idea what you're insinuating angel," he replied with a smile before two passing female cadets passed them by and he got distracted. "Hello, ladies." He called, turning around slightly to flirt as they passed, causing Cali to laugh quietly again, though Bones just seemed more annoyed. "I'm taking the test again." He finally admitted causing both Bones and Cali too look at him as if he was insane, though he likely was.