2.15 - Not A Soul In Sight

~~*~~

Cali and Spock arrived back on the bridge to the sound of Chekov explaining a plan to warp right to one of Saturn's moons in order to get the jump on Nero and his ship's sensors to the rest of the main bridge crew.

"Aye, that might work." Scotty replied instantly, nodding to the Russian whiz kid.

"Wait a minute, kid, how old are you?" Bones questioned patronisingly making Cali roll his eyes at his friend.

"Seventeen, sir." Chekov replied confidently.

"Oh, oh good, he's seventeen." Bones sighed in exasperation making Cali step forward, unfortunately having to let go of Spock's hand as he did, to intervene.

"Leave him alone Bones." Cali scolded, making the group turn to face him, and Spock, as they approached. Jim looked from the Vulcan to Cali making Cali smile reassuringly at him.

"Doctor, Mister Chekov is correct. I can confirm his telemetry." Cali didn't fail to notice how everyone gave Spock a look of apprehension as he spoke and wasn't afraid to give little glares to a few of the nastier onlookers, which didn't go unnoticed by a slightly amused Jim. "If Mister Sulu is able to manoeuvre us into position, I can beam aboard Nero's ship, steal back the black hole device, and if possible, bring back Captain Pike."

Cali turned to Spock with slightly widened eyes. The Vulcan hadn't discussed that plan with him. "I won't allow you to do that, Mister Spock." Jim denied, not wanting him to put himself in danger on behalf of the ship because he was guilty about what he did or wanted to go off on some half-cocked revenge plan.

Looking from Spock to Jim, Cali sighed. "I hate to admit it Jim, but Spock going makes sense. Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry."

Spock looked from Cali to Jim, not aware that he had a small smug smirk from Cali agreeing with him. "Indeed. Our cultural similarities will make it easier for me to access the ship's computer to locate the device. Also, my mother was Human, which makes Earth the only home I have left."

There was a brief silence as Jim thought about the plan before he flashed Cali the briefest of apologetic looks and stepped up to Spock. "I'm coming with you." Jim announced, making eye contact with Spock, almost daring him to say no.

Spock could see the dare in his eyes and as much as he knew they both gained some amount of pleasure from being able to argue with each other so well, he knew it wasn't the time. "I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it."

Jim chuckled softly. "See? We are getting to know each other." He stated with a smirk. As he walked past Spock, he slapped him on the arm, making the Vulcan sway. Spock stared off in front of him for a moment before turning to look at Cali briefly and following the captain out.

"Oh gods." Cali mumbled to himself, watching the two leave the bridge. "What have I gotten myself into?"

~~*~~

In the corridor, Spock had managed to Catch up with Jim, and Cali had caught up with them both shortly after. Once again, nothing was said as they quickly made their way to the transporter room.

Jim led the way inside, spotting Scotty already at the controls. "How are we, Scotty?"

"Unbelievably, sir, the ship is in position." Scotty replied, looking up at him as he approached. Although Spock continued on to his position on the pad, Jim stopped at the controls to open a commlink to the bridge and Cali stalled there with him.