26

*triggering topics: drug use / sexual abuse*

------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOSPITAL

"I swear I can do it."

"I'm not saying you can't, but as your doctor, i'm telling you, you, in fact, cannot do it."

"Ashton."

"Luke."

"uGH. you're so frustrating."

"Luke, I can get Michael in here and i swear he'll agree with me even without having to read your chart. Hell, even Calum can pitch in on this and agree with me."

"As--"

"What can i pitch in on? what the hell are you saying about me?"

"Calum, buddy! oh i missed you. How --"

"Cal, don't listen to him, he's sucking up to you. Our good buddy here, Luke thinks that he can get up and start moving around already. In fact, he actually swears that he can. I, as his doctor, told him no. What do you think about that Dr. Hood?"

"well that's just unfair, you already mentally predicated what his brain should say so his brain is now thinking and knows to say no because it's a premeditated answer you gave him."

"haha, what a funny guy our buddy is, Dr. Irwin. Lu, premeditated answer and without your psychological degree answer, MY answer is still agreeing with Ashton, and I disagree with you."

"guys, please, I am losing my mind in this bed. I cannot stay here another minute. my ass is literally deflating as we talk."

"Luke, you know that medically that's impossible. Your ass will be fine. It's been a month. You still have 2 weeks bed rest for your bones to heal PROPERLY then you can start walking physical therapy. As of right now, you're stuck with bed PT, which you are progressing exceptionally in, by the way. Now be a patient and let me check your heart."

"my hearts fine, i'm at 46 for resting HR and 65 for active. No skipped beats, and no pain. Just sore chest cavity. still."

"you're seriously the worst kind of patient. i don't like you. go back to sleep."

"i'm going to go crazy in here. Please. at least let me work some case files from bed then."

"Okay, let's get this tantrum in check first of all, then you can pretend you're at home in our sofa. And I'll think about letting you work some cases. You don't seem to understand the terms "relaxation" and "no stressful and strenuous activity" so might as well see what we can do about that. But no promises. seriously."

Calum and Ashton laugh as they mock Luke's tantrum.

"Look. you have 2 weeks left of bed rest. Max. Maybe 1 week, if Michael likes the way your bones have healed and he thinks they're ready to be exercised. Calum has cleared your heart from any possible risks, but we still have to be precautious. And you know this. Both as a patient and medically. We know you're bored and tired of being here, we're bored and tired of having to be your doctors for more hours than we can be your friends and roommates. Let's just take this last week as it is and see where we can go from there. Best scenario? you're at home within 3 weeks with limited movement. You had several surgeries done. you have to let your body heal itself and regain its strength."

"Ashton's right Lu. Let's hold out for 2 more weeks then we can try to get you home again. But let's proceed with care and responsibly. Better for you to let your body heal properly if you want to go back to fire service this year. Don't push your body more than it was already pushed okay?"