ⓅⓇⓄⓁⓄⒼⓊⒺ

Pain comes in many different forms, and Edward Cullen was a being that had felt them all. He had felt it when he lay in a hospital bed struggling to breath, fighting to live. He felt it when Carlisle's venom burned inside him, he felt it when he strayed from Carlisle's views, when the monstrous side of him took over. He felt it when everyone in his family had mates and he didn't, pain was the most prominent emotion he had felt during his lonely and miserable existence.

Secrets were another thing that Edward Cullen was no stranger to, he heard plenty of them everyday in the form of thoughts that were not his own. Some that he couldn't care less about and some that he really wished he didn't hear. Of course, he had his own fair share of secrets, despite the fact that there was no privacy in a house full of vampires, especially with an empath, mind-reader and a pixie that could tell the future.

Edward Cullen had a lot of secrets, they gave him an aura of mystery, but most of all they gave him massive headaches that aspirin could not fix. All his life he had lived in a mental prison he had built for himself; one that he could never escape, no matter how hard he tried. Happiness was another thing that didn't came easy to Edward Cullen. He wanted to say that happiness just wasn't something he ever felt, but that would be a lie, because he did feel happy once, a long time ago.

 When he was human, he never truly felt joy, he never ever felt like laughing just for the sake of it, or the urge to smile because he was content. His whole life had been laid out for him the moment he was born, he was going to be a lawyer like his father and he was going to get married to a high-class girl and have a few kids, he wasn't supposed to want to play the piano, he wasn't supposed to want to fight in a war, he wasn't supposed to want to be a doctor and he wasn't supposed to want to run away, somewhere they could never find him and be free. 

He wasn't supposed to have disobeyed his parents by secretly being best friends with the gardener's son. The gardener's son, a boy with an eccentric personality, a knack for trouble and the voice of an angel, a boy who made everyone fall in love with his charming personality, impeccable manners, and bright green eyes that shone like stars. And those adorable dimples that came out whenever someone was blessed with a smile or if they were lucky......a laugh from his beautiful pink lips. 

The boy who loved to cook, and play the guitar,  who would braid flowers in Edward's bronze curls during the spring and would take him star gazing during the fall. The boy who was the only person who deeply understood Edward, who could read his soul and eyes, who was the only person in this world that Edward would do anything for. The boy who was cruelly ripped away from Edward, the boy who didn't deserve to die.

Edward wasn't supposed to have the influenza, he was supposed to finish law school and get married to Lily, a girl his father had chosen for him and one of his father's dearest friends daughter. He wasn't supposed to almost run away, but stop because his father was infected, he wasn't supposed to see both his parents die and almost die of influenza himself. He was too young for that and had his whole life ahead of him is what Carlisle would say every time he would ask him why he saved Edward and not someone else, but he knew that was a lie, the truth was he wasn't supposed to survive.............and sometimes he wished he hadn't.

Edward's human life hadn't been the best, but it wasn't the worst either. He came from high-class family, his father had been a lawyer and had always been quite absent in his life, never showing up to school events or being home for Christmas or birthdays. His mother was a different story, she was a strong woman who did whatever she pleased, she was a kind woman who read him bedtime stories and convinced his father to get him a piano tutor after she heard him play for the first time. 

She was the love of his father's life and growing up Edward would always find it fascinating when his cold father's eyes would soften at the sight of her. Despite the fact that his parents wanted his life to go as they had planned, Edward still loved both of them, and that's why he found himself at the graveyard they were buried in a 100 years after their death, but little did he know he would find much more than a few hundred or more rotting, dead bodies here.