Chapter Twenty-Two

Aiden and I became very close friends as days turned into weeks and before we knew it, it was Spring Break. The winter coldness had given way to warmer temperatures and the white wonderland had turned to a beautiful fantasy filled with pastel colors. Budding flowers and birds returning from their migration. Bees pollinating flowers. It was beautiful. Here I say with a picnic blanket laid out in the middle of a meadow that was deep within the woods the nature trail went through. I was waiting for Aiden, after all he had planned on meeting me up here. The guys had all taken a trip out of state for Spring Break which left me and my friend able to hang out as we pleased without caring if anyone saw us.

"Hey short-stack." I heard Aiden's voice before I saw him and closes my journal which I had laying open in my lap. He had two ice-creams in his hand and he handed me a chocolate-vanilla swirl one. "I didn't know flavor you wanted." He apologized and I just smiled laughing. I had become so comfortable around him since back in January. It was very nearly April already and we were closer than ever.

"This is fine." I assured him and began to eat the cold dessert slowly so I wouldn't get brain freeze. I was thinking quietly to myself when Aiden spoke up again.

"How come you never have me over at your place?" He asked suddenly. I was taken aback by his question and I looked over at him curiously. He had a light but also semi-serious expression on his face. Sometimes he caught me off guard with random questions, much like this one.

"My family isnt usually under the same roof at the same time...besides yours is more fun." I told him and laughed a little lightening the mood. He shook his head.

"Do you trust me, Jamison?" He asked. I flinched at his words and the fact that he used my actual name. He was serious and being very deep right now. I didn't understand why.

"...yes..." I hesitated. Aiden sighed calmly and looked away from me.

"The truth please." I sighed.

"Not fully." I admitted he sighed again and found himself standing up, brushing some grass that clung to him off.

"I should go..." He murmured to me and walked off. I felt a hard pain in my chest as he walked away but I let him go. I didn't want to make the situation worse.
.........................
For a couple days Aiden didn't call or talk or see me at all and I was starting to feel lonely. I called Katherine up to see if she heard any news. She was always up to date on everyone in town.

"Hello?" She answered and I could hear what sounded like Chinese or Japanese women in the background. She must have been getting her nails done for once.

"Hey Katherine..." I started. She was instantly on it, knowing I never used her name unless I was feeling upset or was angry with her, which I certainly wasn't angry with her.

"What's up, Jam-boo?" She asked, using her recently made nickname for me. I hated it with a passion so I rolled my eyes at her pet name and laid back on my bed, staring at my ceiling.

"It's Aiden...I haven't seen him for days. Do you know what's up?" I asked. Katherine was our middle man if either of us had problems we went to her she was like a therapist and always knew what to say.

"Jamie, he's just upset because of what he did in....well what he did a while ago." She told me. There was a lot of muttering in a foreign language and I chuckled, knowing Kat like to talk with her hands.

"It was November..."

"Doesn't matter! Point is Aiden still feels terrible about it and I'm assuming that's why you told him you didn't trust him..." I nodded on the other side if the phone.

"Yes...but Kat you know I can't forgive him..." I began.

"I'm not saying you should, I'm saying just give him a chance. Now Jamie, I have to go. I'm getting my nails done." I laughed and I could hear it in her voice that she was pouting. "What's so funny?"

"I kinda figured from the foreign language in the background...what are you getting your nails done for?" I asked curiously. She slowed her words down as if she was talking to a child that didn't understand her.

"Prom is the weekend after Spring Break you nimbo!" She told me exasperated. I frowned a little bit. Prom? She was a freshman like me. There was no way she was going to prom.

"But you're a freshman!"

"So? A senior girl friend of mine asked if I wanted to go as of course I said hell yeah." She laughed and I chuckled shaking my head.

"Well have fun." I told her.

"Will do. I'll brag about it too." Then she hung up on me and I was left staring at my ceiling in silence. I tries to call Aiden but the phone kept ringing and I got his voicemail. I sighed and got up, walking downstairs and putting my shoes on.

"Eve! Can I get a ride to Aiden's house?" I asked my sister. She smiles kindly and nodded.

"Sure." She told me and grabbed her car keys, leading me out to her car. We both got in and she drove me to the other side of town and I climbed out, thankful.

"Thanks, sis." I told her she just nodded and drove off and I walked up the the front porch, ringing the doorbell. Mrs. Monroe answered the door.

"Jamie! What a pleasant surprise. Please come in." She said with a bright smile on her face. I stepped inside, taking my shoes off. "Aiden's not here. He's with his dad, shopping for lord knows what." She laughed and gave me a hug. "But you're welcome to wait in the living room or his room or whatever you prefer." She told me I nodded, smiling.

"Thank you." I said and hugged her again. I headed upstairs and into Aiden's room. It wouldn't be the first time I had been in there. Sure the first time alone but not the first time in general.

I sat bored for a second before I got a little...nosey. What can you say? Curiosity killed the cat. I was intrigued by a notebook that was left out and it had...stanzas in Aiden's neat handwriting. I was a little surprised. Poetry? Could Aiden truly write poetry? At the top of the page words were scribbled out but it seemed to say.... "To Jamison," I stepped back from the notebook but my curiosity got the best of me and I started to read.

I ran in blessed drizzle,
I walked across the silver desserts.
I dived under golden sun gleams, and
I passed thousand of seas;
To get to the Seven Gates.

Sometimes I was lost in a crowd
But I felt your love's power
Pulling me towards you all the time.
Will we be able to survive together?
For this world is a flaring place
But I'll gladly take the chance, for
You are the only one I love till eternity.

I stopped, and saw the empty skies above,
A graveyard with a newly buried couple,
A dark cloud wandering lonely.
But the silver line in it,
Manifested the diamond necklace I gave you.
Then came a fresh breeze
I felt your sweet voice and divine aroma in it.

So I saw you in a sea of roses,
In a blossoming bud,
In a luminous sunbeam,
In a fragrant wind,
And then everywhere.
Suddenly there were colors and songs in the atmosphere.
An angel was sprinkling magical dust
A cupid was shooting arrows of flowers.

My heart leaped out
For I saw my Cinderella....
He's divine God, I was feared to touch.
He had lit a lamp for me
But I was the one who burnt all the time.

He does not know....
His voice filled my vacant ears,
His magical eyes stung in my heart,
His beaming smile made haloes in me.
He was my secret promise....
The flames that burned in my heart.

-Aiden

My eyes were filled with tears when I finished reading that and in walked Aiden, his mother having told him I was up here. I turned, rubbing my eyes clear of the liquid and he stood staring at me embarrassed like he had been caught red handed.

"Did you really write that..." He nodded.

"Yes." That was the end of our conversation that night. The rest flew by in silence and I couldn't look at my friend the same way after that.