Chapter Twenty-One

I found myself shrinking more and more into the passenger seat as we neared Aiden's house. I had never been there before...I rarely was anywhere but home, school, and one of the two parks the community had. I chewed my bottom lip and my sister's eyes kept flicking to look at me. I felt like a turtle wanting to curl up in it's shell and hide from the scary outside world.

"Calm down. It'll be fine, dork." Eve told me and pulled me up with one hand as she slowed down, pulling her Eco-friendly car into the jock's driveway. I gulped and stayed in my seat, clutching the seatbelt.

"On second thought let's just go home." I still stayed firmly planted in my seat until I saw Aiden beckon from the front door to come inside. I took a deep, shaky breath and eased myself out of my sister's car.

"Have fun." She encouraged before I shut the door, holding onto my messenger bag for dear life. She pulled out of the driveway and I watches her disappear down the road before slowly making my way to the front porch. Aiden opened the front door for me and I turned a deep shade of red.

"Come in." He said politely and I nodded, walking inside. I saw a pile of shoes just on the inside of the entryway and slid my converse off, revealing mix-matched socks. I didn't much care if they matched...people didn't usually see them. Aiden smiles kindly at me and led me to the living room where he already had his homework out and a very disorganized array of papers. I shuddered a little at it. I was not a fan of disorganization. He took a seat amongst the mess and motioned for me to sit on the couch. I did so.

"What do you need help with?" I asked. My eyes were scanning over the pages leisurely and I chuckled a little. It was Algebra II, which was the math class that the majority of the Juniors took unless they were in Advanced Placement classes. I was good with any form of math actually.

"All of it..." Aiden said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. I laughed slightly and nodded.

"Alright here..." I lowered myself to the floor. "First can we start by organizing...it'd be easier. Keep your notes nice and need to use as reference." I suggested. He put his hands up, allowing me to do whatever it was I needed to do. I smiled and got to work.

For hours I helped him study and by the end he understood math almost as well as I did.

"I now dub you the smartest jock I know." I laughed, tapping his head, shoulder, and side of his neck with a pencil. "You may rise Sir Aiden." I broke into a fit of laughter, laying back on the soft carpeted floor. Aiden joined in my idiotic laughter but we both stopped when we heard the front door open.

"Aiden! Could you help me out with the groceries please?" A woman's voice hollered from the entryway. Aiden and I both got up and he quickly slid on his shoes. I couldn't see the woman's face from behind the giant brown paper bag she was carrying in her arms.

"Yes mom." He said without question. I smiled a little then in walked another girl and behind her a boy that looked about the same age and outside at the car was an older man. Aiden went out to help grab the rest of the groceries then came inside with the man. I followed them to the kitchen curiously.

The first woman set her bag down and that's when she noticed me.

"Oh my! You must be Jamison! Aiden has told me a lot about you." She held her hand out and I gingerly reached over and shook it, my face becoming pink.

"He talks about me?" I asked softly. The boy spoke up as he started to put the groceries from the many bags away in cabinets and the refrigerator.

"You're practically all he talks about, that or sports. It's irritating." The boy said. I raised a brow looking at Aiden. He just shrugged easily. Then his mom spoke up again.

"Oh how rude...I'm Bailey, Aiden's mom. This is my husband Jayson. This is Fabian and his twin sister Dawn." She motioned around to all of them as she said their names and I waves awkwardly.

"Hello, I'm Jamison....just call me Jamie." I told them. Dawn smiled at me and I rubbed the back of my neck.

"It's wonderful to finally meet you Jamie." She told me. Their dad grunted in agreement as he helped Fabian put all the groceries away along with Aiden. I smiled. This family was a nice one.

"Will you be staying for dinner?" Bailey asked me. I thought for a moment before shrugging.

"If that's okay with you Mrs. Monroe." I told her quietly. She chuckled softly, offering me a smile of a housewife and tender-loving mother.

"I would love if you stayed and please Bailey is fine." She told me. "Mrs. Monroe makes me sound old." She explained. I laughed a little, smiling kindly.

"My mom is the same way. Thinks Mrs. Smith makes her sound like an older woman." Aiden's mom laughed with me smiling.

"I like her already." She told me and walked off, pulling things from the grocery bags that she was going to make for dinner. I leaned on the little is and in the middle of the kitchen. Aiden had disappeared back into the living room to clean up our study mess and Dawn was helping her mom cook while Jayson and Fabian left the house entirely to go find movies to watch from the local Family Video.

"What's for dinner?" I asked curiously. The two girls eyes never looked away from their task and Mrs. Monroe answered my question.

"Shepards Pie...you do eat meat right? No allergies?" She asked. I smiled.

"I do eat me and no I'm not allergic to anything." I assured. Aiden came back in and tapped me lightly on the shoulder. I looked up at him and offered a smile. "Your family is fantastic." I told him. He smiled sweetly at me and I had to look away to keep from blushing.

We went back to the living room and watched TV until it was time for dinner. I had texted my mom to let her know I would be here until after dinner was over and she was fine with that, glad I had friends to hang out with.

That night was amazing. We played video games, board games, watched movies, and altogether had a fantastic time. I was a little upset when the night came to a close and I was in the car with Aiden's mom as she drove me home.

"Did you have fun?" She asked me and I nodded quickly and smiled extremely wide.

"I've never had more fun in my life." I told her. Her face lit up happily and I felt good for making her feel great about it.

"I had hoped so...you'll come over again, won't you?" She asked. I raises a brow but then she continued. "Since the hospital Aiden hasn't had many people over." She explained. I nodded slowly in understanding.

"I will come over as often as I can." I promised. And turns out. That day and night was just like many to come and I had never been more happy in my entire life.