Chapter Twenty-Eight

Unsurprisingly I was sick all of Friday too but Aiden couldn't make it over that day. I spent it alone, in my room writing. All of that day I wrote and didn't stop writing unless I either had to use the restroom, take medicine, or eat. I was writing and rewriting, not only my stories but notes and poems. I wrote in my journal too of course but I was being creative today. I couldn't stop writing. My floo became littered with crumpled pieces of paper and the only person to enter my room at all was my mom.

"Honey, dinner is...." Her voice trailed off as she examined my room and I sniffled, wiping my nose with the sleeve of my hoodie and turned in the swivel chair to look at her. "Are you alright?" She asked, her eyes trailing to look up at me with a concerned expression. There was a big cheeky grin on my lips and I nodded.

"Never been better. I can't stop writing-" I started bouncing in my seat a little as I spoke. Even with my fever and my miserable sickly feeling, I had never been happier. "-and I have so much inspiration." I admitted. Mom chuckled, shaking her head in amusement at me and I stuck my tongue out at her before going into another coughing fit. Not even that put out my fire at the moment.

"Well you need to take a break and eat something." Mom walked over to me and pulled me out of my chair. I wiped my nose on my sleeve again and winced. my nose was red and raw from wiping it so much. She looked at me kindly and led me out of my room, the crumpled papers crunching under our feet. I was going to have clean that up later. Together, we went downstairs and into the kitchen. Eve was missing again and I frowned.

"Where's Eve?" I asked mom. She shrugged her shoulders easily.

"With Nyck." She explained and I nodded in understanding. My sister had dated Nyck since the fourth grade and they were still the most adorable couple and the happiest one I knew. I was almost certain that they would win Prom King and Queen this year. Afterall, my sister had won Homecoming Queen since Junior year. She was quite the catch and most guys were envious of her boyfriend.

"So just us?" I asked. My mom shook her head at my question and I gave her a questioning look. Just as my aunt Beatrice walked in, grinning and smiling at me. My eyes went wide in surprise.

"Aunt Beatrice! What are you doing here?" I questioned. Her shoulders raised in a shrug and I went over and hugged her gently. When I stepped back I had to quickly cover my face with my hands because I sneezed once and then twice.

"Bless you!" Both my mother and aunt said simutaniously. I laughed. "Jynx! Double jynx!" They yelled.

"Triple jynx." My mom finally said before my aunt could muster the words. I shook my head at their shenanigans. They were awfully weird sometimes but I loved them. We ate corn beef with mashed potatoes and broccoli. It was a very filling meal and soon we were all sprawled on the couch, watching the latest episode of Supernatural. I looked between the two of them, they were awfully engrossed in the show and I smiled a little, laying my head on my mom's shoulder. She rubbed my back and we watched the show in silence.

I went up to my room at about ten o'clock that night and I brought a trashbag with me. I picked up poem after poem, note after note, and shoved them into the black plastic bag. A couple of today's works were stored in a binder on my desk and my journal lay open, beckoning for me to go over and write in it. I was about to write when I got a text from Aiden. I smiled and read it.

Jamison, open your window and look outside. I dare you. I frowned a little but did as the text instructed. I opened the window and glanced outside. There Aiden stood and waved at me. I laughed a little and called from the window.

"What are you doing? It's nearly ten thirty at night." I scolded teasingly. He shrugged a little. I could see he was holding something and I tilted my head, eyeballing him. "What you got there?" I asked.

"Catch!" He yelled back and I barely had anytime to react as he threw it up to me. I caught it, last second and my lips turned into a bright smile once more.

"What's this for?" I asked. He shrugged simply as he shoved his hands into his jean pockets.

"Just a little something to go with your tux for prom." He said. I looked over the delicate white rose. The thorns had been cut off and it looked freshly cut and then I gasped.

"Did you cut this from your mom's garden?" I asked, looking at him in horror. He laughed, shrugging his broad shoulders again.

"I'm sure she won't mind one missing flower." He pointed out. I nodded slowly as he glanced at his watch.

"I need to go. I'll see you tomorrow. I'll pick you up say-" he thought for a minute. "-nine thirty? That way we can be there when it starts at ten." He said. My face lit up and I nodded vigorously before coughing again, suddenly being pulled back to the memory of being sick.

"If my fever breaks." I reminded him. He held up both hands, his fingers crossed. I set the rose down and held my hands out to him, my fingers crossed as well.

"Let's hope it does."

"Agreed!" I called back. He lowered his arms and started to walk away from a second before I called from my window. "Goodnight Aiden!" He stopped and looked back at me with a smile.

"Goodnight Jamison!" With that he started to walk away again and when he got the the end of the drive, he stopped and turned back around. I had been watching him leave so I tried to duck, but I knew he saw me so I peeked out just in time to see him blow a kiss in my direction.