~20

(Y/n) passed her fingers through the old ink, Mare's handwriting was cute, a messy one - most of them from a long time ago.

The girl's mind was racing a mile per hour, "why is this all here?", she thought. Most of them were about etiquette lessons and the silvers' history, not that interesting. Who would have kept this here?

As the time passed by, the numbers of books started to shorten. While (Y/n) was examining the last 4 ones, she freezed. These were recent, probably from a few months ago - the smallest a little torn, a few pages missing - as if Mare had freaked out and destroyed everything. Who could have gave it to her?

The possibilities were small, and now that she started to think, the prisioner didn't look like a prisioner at all. She wore pretty dresses, ate good food and was way more sarcastic than usual. Of course, she was needed and was an important piece in this game - but it felt like there was something else.

Maybe Maven liked her. Maybe he still does.

(Y/n) started to wander through the room, telling herself that it was none of her business.

But, if it wasn't, why did she felt that way?

Norta was messing with her head pretty badly, she wanted to bang her head into the nearest wall.

┅━━━╍⊶⊰⊱⊷╍━━━┅

Everything in her head was a mess. Iris' wedding with Maven was in two days, Mare stared at her in a creppy way every single breakfast and she was beggining to cogitate if she felt something besides friendship for her new friend. Everything, nowadays, revolved around him!

(Y/n) stared at her food, not wanting to eat anything else. Mare's looks were starting to freak her out.

When everyone started to leave, all the girl wanted was to exit that room, but the lightning girl had different plans. - So... you and Maven, huh. - She said, as she put her arms on the table, examining (Y/n)'s face.

When Mare said that, the princess started to cough uncontrollably. - What? Should I know you?

- Oh, that's right. I think we haven't talked yet. - Mare stated and started to smile in a peculiar way - I'm Mare. No need to tell your name, I already know you. If I could, I would shake your hand but... you know, the handcuffs.

- Ah, sure. The handcuffs. - (Y/n) slowly shaked her head. - Okay.

- You know, Mare. Last night I saw some books in Julian's library. They were yours. - The princess added. Mare was not expecting that.

- I miss them, but I guess Maven's tired of giving me new books every time I freak out. - The other girl told, laughing.

Maven. His name made (Y/n) flinch.

After a few minutes, Mare finally spoke. - Do not worry. You can have him all to yourself.

- Huh? - The princess said, tilting her head.

The prisioner laughed. - I don't have a lot of time. But take care, (Y/n), Maven is not one to mess with. He can't change.

Everyone has been saying that recently.

A few minutes later, the lightning girl finally got up and said one last thing to her. - You can keep the books. Good luck, shortie.

Do not forget to follow and vote! If you have any suggestions, please message me!