Ch 41: Joshua Tree

"Let's just find Hina and Maya and get out of here."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Shivani shook her head. "No...but it's my fault."

Bailey took a step towards her, but Shivani shook her head. "I'm sorry Bailey. I can't risk Noah seeing us and hurting him again. And I can't hurt you either."

Bailey seemed a little hurt, but he nodded. "They're this way."

She followed him back and they found Hina and Maya sitting on a bench near the wheel. Hina saw them first and got up to hug Shivani.

When they pulled out of the hug, Shivani grabbed Hina's elbow and gently guided her to the side. "We'll be right back!" she said to Maya and Bailey.

When they were a little further away, Shivani turned to face Hina who seemed amused.

"So...what's up?"

"What's up? Seriously?" 

Hina smiled. "Okay so I might have had something to do with you and Bailey sitting next to each other on the ferris wheel."

Shivani faked a look of surprise. "Oh really? I had absolutely no idea!" She rolled her eyes. "Come on Hina, I mean...I expected this from Maya, I barely know her, but I trusted you."

Hina put her hands on Shivani's shoulders. "I did it for you!"

"You...you did it for me? Right. Mhm, sure you did." Shivani shook her head. "You know I broke up with Noah and then he saw me coming off the ferris wheel with Bailey. Do you know what that felt like Hina?"

Hina shook her head. "Look I'm sorry I didn't know that he would be there."

"Yeah and I didn't know either of them would be here today because we made a pact to not talk about Noah or Bailey today! I really thought you had my back."

"I do."

"Is this because I told you about Ylona? Are you mad at me?"

Hina shook her head. "No, I'm glad you told me about her!"

"Then why are you punishing me? Why did you put me in an uncomfortable situation with Bailey again when you know I have feelings for someone else?"

"Because you and Bailey would be really good together and Maya and I thought we could help you guys out...sometimes you miss this stuff, so I thought I was helping you!"

"Wow I don't even know what to say. Don't you think that's a decision I get to make for myself?"

"Look I'm not going to apologize for looking out for me. I really don't see the issue!"

"The issue? Hmm let's see...the issue is that Noah thought I dumped him for Bailey which will only hurt him more. The issue is that Bailey has told me he likes me and you put him in a position in which he thought there was a chance again only for me to shut him down again. The issue is that apparently I lost the two people I was closest to here on the same day."

Hina seemed shocked. "You didn't lose me!" She took a shaky breath in and for the first time that day, Shivani could see how close to crying Hina had been the whole day. "Maybe I thought that the people Ylona hurt most should be happy so when Maya asked me about you and Bailey I thought yes! Bailey and Shivani deserve to be happy! Is that really so wrong?" Tears started rolling down Hina's cheek.

Shivani wanted to cry too. "I'm sorry," she said after a long pause.

"Me too."

"I think today has just been an emotional day and being on that ferris wheel and seeing Noah...I could feel my heart hurting. I just need you to promise me that you won't go behind my back again when I just need a friend. And if you need to talk about Ylona, I'm here, okay?"