Daminette- Soulmate AU Pt. 3

"What's wrong?" She takes a step forward, he just looks away. Saying it to her would make it all the more real.

"What happened?" Damian knows he has to say it, knows it was something he had to accept and move past to properly carry the legacy that now rested on his shoulders, to regain his composure and focus on getting justice for his grandfather.

"My grandfather was killed." The bluenette softly gasps, her lips parting. She'd heard stories of the man her soulmate adored. They were really close. She takes another step forward, then another.

She kept getting closer, her hurried little steps getting bigger until she was right in front of him. As soon as he was in arms reach, Marinette hugs her person. His hands go to her waist, trying to weakly push her away.

"What are you doing?" He tries to sound defiant, like he doesn't want whatever is happening but Marinette just hugs him closer.

"This is called a hug, you wrap your arms around a parson and keep them close. That way you don't have to deal with the burden of standing all alone." He awkwardly reciprocates, ducking his head into the crook of her neck. Marinette hears a sniffle, he shakes in her arms. Using one of her hands, Marinette soothingly strokes his hair as she shushes him.

"It's going to be okay, I know it hurts but it is. I promise." He doesn't respond, clinging onto Marinette like it was the only sign of affection he's ever received. She carefully leads the boy to the plush bed before unwrapping her arms from around her and gets the cookies.

Looking at the tray of cookies as he eats one, then another. Marinette sitting next to him, a comforting hand on his knee to let the boy know she was there. To keep him grounded. A question slips past his lips.

"What am I going to do now?" The weight of everything seemed to come crashing down, a desperate look in his eye as he turns to her. Hoping for her to have all the answers.

"It's going to be okay, look at me. It's going to be okay." The two sit in silence, Marinette is unsure of what to say.

"When my grandpa went to heaven we told happy stories, Maman calls them happy thoughts." The boy understands and recalls some of his fondest memories of his family, telling Marinette of the few he can. She asks about the rest of his family, how they were doing. He explains that his mother was sending him to live with his father while she deals with the unrest.

Damian soon wakes, feeling better. The memory of the warm cookies keeping him calm enough, focusing on the imaginary lingering taste of them when he needed to refocus. With the new time zone he sees much less of Marinette.

The Bat-family has no idea whether or not Damian has a soulmate or if they're still alive. He was grown in an artificial womb, who knows if that has an effect on one's eligibility to have one.

Damian died. His mother made a clone of him, he grew faster- becoming a full grown man and killed the fourth Robin. Father brought him back but he still vividly remembers the cold blade passing through every fiber of muscle, the searing pain as he and the blade were dropped by his literal flesh and blood. The way he could feel his body struggle as he lost more and more blood, he could almost feel every vein and capillary strain for the vital fluid as it escaped from the wound on his stomach.

When Damian was brought back he was so relieved, terrified, grateful. When Damian goes to sleep, the first thing he does is latch onto Marinette who's sobbing and numbering about not seeing him for a year. He just hugged her like it was the last time he'd ever get to.

"Hugs are appropriate when one does not feel strong enough to stand alone, correct?" Marinette reciprocates, holding him close as he tries to shrink and hide in her embrace.  They end up on the bed eating countless cookies in silence, Marinette wants nothing more than to hug and feed him until he smiles.