Daminette Soulmate AU- Pt. 4

Marinette was happy to hear that her soulmate was finally able to tell her his name, she has to admit it was a really nice one. 

Damian 

She likes the way it rolls around in her mouth, he had been so nervous but Marinette told him there was no need- she  understands that they can't always tell each other everything- admitting she lied about how well she did on an English exams at school a few times.

Marinette had taken the whole 'Wayne' thing in stride, laughing at the poor boy's stories about his brothers, sisters, and the rest of the so called 'imbeciles'.

When Marinette and Damian are thirteen Marinette becomes Ladybug hero of Paris, she immediately confides in Damian. He helps her come into her own while she rants about silly cat puns from her partner.

The fourth Robin was quick to verify everything Marinette tells him, starting a file on the Paris situation. Her immediate trust in the boy makes him feel guilty- it had a been a little over a year since the boy fessed up his name, that was only one half of his life. But he couldn't tell her about his nightly activities, it would be too much, and he wasn't allowed to tell anyone. Under any circumstances.

He's considered asking his father about telling Marinette, deciding to ask after before patrol. It was mandatory Sunday night diner so Damian was spaced out, thinking, as he usually does now, about how to ask his father to let him tell his soulmate when Grayson makes a joke about a pre-teen Kor'i not believing he was a superhero- he had told Kor'i who he was from the start?

"Forgive me for not believing you were a colorfully dressed boy in a leotard that runs around with a man in the bat suit!" Kor'i huffs, people laugh but Damian just looks between his father and Grayson for some kind of clarification. When the younger of the two stops laughing he notices  Damian's questioning eyes.

"We can tell them?" Everyone stops at his question, the façade he forced onto himself falling- leaving a confused and sheltered boy that was still learning despite how long he's been with his family. It dawned on them, only now, that the fourth Robin didn't know anything about soulmates.

"Well- yeah." Dick answers, looking at Damian as if the answer was obvious, as if it should have been. Damian nods going back to his food, everyone else does too. None ever considered him not knowing about soulmates, it never had to be discussed with anyone else, they came to the manor knowing about the bond's sacredness- It's lore, it's history- grew up seeing at least someone and how much they loved their soulmate, how unbreakable the bond was.

Cass had been approached, she just looked to the ground or walked away. It was probably too late for them.

That night, Damian tells her. He apologizes again. Even with the weight of the guilt lifted off his shoulders a sinking feeling settles in Damian's stomach because no matter how much he tells her, no matter how hard he tries to be transparent and honest with the person that's been there for him through everything, who always know what to say, there would always be something else.

She hugs him, making him promise to be safe, to keep himself from harm. He explains that his life in complicated and confusing, trying to explain but she gently shushes him.

"You don't have to explain anything, I believe you." She gives him a hug, he feels the heavy the tightness in his chest lessen as he melts into her arms, reciprocating out of reflex. It wasn't everything but it was something. When they pull away he insists they spar, as they usually do, she was a hero with no mentor- it was best not to leave anything to chance.

The rest of the Bat-family wasn't overly surprised by Damian's confusion, Bruce had always been very clear on not telling anyone about their identities but it brought up an important question. Just what did, and didn't, Thalia tell him?