Chapter 14: Power Trip

"If you're going through hell, keep going

"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill

(PAST.)

"I want this gun, too."

Ellen said, grabbing a scoped hunting rifle and adding it on top of her already cluttered pile of guns, ammo, and weapons.

The woman in charge of the weapons stand in the market looked at her skeptically.

"Uh, sorry, it's just I haven't seen you around here before. What's your name again?"

Ellen narrowed her eyes, leaning forward threateningly. "Maybe I should be asking you what your name is. And while I'm at it, maybe I'll tell Negan that you're making him wait for his shipment of gear too. This is on his tab."

"Just take the shit and go, lady."

Ellen loaded the weapons into her duffel bag. She gripped a machete in one hand and threw the rifle over her shoulder, before stalking away, a grin growing on her face.

---

"Uh sir, what do you want us to do? She never showed up for our morning meeting."

"We asked around. People in the market said they saw a woman matching her description leave really early this morning, said she just slipped out with tons of guns."

Negan sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Fucking Christ, Ellen."

---

Ellen returned to the Sanctuary later that evening, just before dark.

She smiled to herself, feeling the cool kiss of twilight on her skin for the first time in a long time and enjoying the freedom. Her clothes smelled like earth and wind, and her muscles ached with a familiar fatigue, one that made her feel like she'd finally accomplished something useful.

Upon her arrival back to the market, Ellen headed for the weapons stand.

The lady from earlier that morning looked up at her cautiously.

"Here, I thought this might pay for any inconveniences."

Ellen slumped the carcass of a deer onto the table with a loud thud, causing people passing by to take a second glance in her direction.

Ellen stretched, her biceps rippling formidably beneath taut skin, before returning the duffle bag back onto the table too.

The woman looked up at Ellen, with an impressed gaze at the young buck. "Wow, handsome catch."

"It's Ellen, by the way."

The woman nodded. "Yeah, I've heard all about you. Couple of men were looking for you earlier."

"You don't say."

"Said you were supposed to be going on some scavenging job this morning."

Ellen just shrugged nonchalantly, before turning away.