Chapter 22: War and Peace

"Injuries may be forgiven, but not forgotten

"Injuries may be forgiven, but not forgotten." Aesop

(While Daryl and Ellen were imprisoned, things between the antagonistic group known as the Saviors and the Alexandrians grew tense. Rick is on his way to ask for help in banding the communities together to fight, knowing that without help, they're outnumbered.)

After the small group of Alexandrians paid a visit to Gregory--the result being exactly what Ellen figured it would be--Jesus decided it was time to introduce them to another community, the Kingdom.

King Ezekiel always had a flare for the dramatic. From the feathers in his hair, to the theatric way he spoke, right down to the fucking tiger.

Needless to say, from the moment they met, he and Ellen got along splendidly.

So when the Alexandrians entered the auditorium where he awaited, paling at the sight of the great striped beast before them, Ellen pushed past them. She grinned ear to ear and limped towards the man, who beamed back.

"You're a sight for sore eyes, weary traveler!"

"You should see the other guy," Ellen said with a chuckle, face sore from the smiling.

"And Jesus! It pleases me to see you, old friends!"

"Shit, who you calling old?"

Ezekiel smiled at the woman. "What news do you bring the Kingdom? Are these new allies you've brought me?"

Jesus stepped forward. "This is," he turned around, noticing that everyone was still in the doorway, weary. "Oh, I forgot to mention--"

"Yeah, a tiger," Rick said, nodding.

"This is Rick Grimes, leader of Alexandria. And these are some of his people," Jesus said, as they followed him down the aisle.

Ezekiel welcomed them, before asking why they sought an audience with the King. From the sound of it, Rick's attempt to persuade the Kingdom's residents to join his cause weren't going too well.

As Ellen listened in, she slumped down in one of the chairs, putting a hand to her bruised temple.

She heard the woman, Rosita, speak up, listing off the names of people Negan had slaughtered in the time she'd been imprisoned. She blinked when she heard Spencer's name among them.

"Wait, they killed Spencer?" she asked, turning to Rosita.

It wasn't that she personally cared too much for the man, but he was Deanna's only remaining son. It seemed like just yesterday she was trudging through the woods with him, scowling at his small talk. She felt her blood boil.