Chapter 31: Scarface

"To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it." Confucius 

(When the Saviors were finally able to break free of the dead and escape, they headed to the three communities: Alexandria, Hilltop and the Kingdom.

They rained hellfire on Alexandria, forcing its residents to flee. Threatened the Hilltop, but offered to spare them, as they are "the breadbasket" of the communities. And threatened to kill all of the residents of the Kingdom, unless they gave up their King, intending to use it as their new home for the time being while its people patched up the Sanctuary's walls.)

"You can all stay here and hide out for the remainder of this war. There's enough food and water to last for months. Everything runs on solar, but you have to use it sparingly. Creepers don't really pass through these parts, and if they do... well, I hope for your sake that between the four of you, at least one of you is a good shot."

Ellen said, before strapping some weapons to her belt.

"When will you be back?" Carson asked, stepping forward.

"Not sure yet. I'm gonna head to Alexandria, help them out where they need it. See what the other communities need. You're in charge for now," she told Carson.

"Keep the volume to a minimum and you're gravy."

---

Dwight and Tara froze, horrified, as they watched a small band of Saviors approach the bushes, about to head into the swamp where the Alexandrians were fleeing.

To Tara's displeasure, the man stepped out from the bushes to join them.

She listened as the man stalled, explaining his situation and luring their attention away from the trees.

"So what are you doin' out here?" Dwight asked them after a while.

"Tracking the Alexandrians," one of them said.

"'Bout to check the swamp, see what we can see," another said.

"Well I just came from there, they were smart enough to steer clear," Dwight said, aware of Tara hiding under the cover of the trees a few feet away. "Now if I were them, I'd stick closer to Burke's Pass."

The man led the small band of Saviors away, and Tara watched them go with narrowed eyes.

As the group of Saviors wandered down the road, they paused and raised their guns cautiously when a familiar tune was whistled in the woods.

A figure stepped out from the cover of the lush green foliage, their strides wide and purposeful. 

Dwight blinked when he recognized the woman, his eyes landing on the scar that cut down her right cheek.

He watched her gaze coolly at the group.

"You assholes really burnt it all to the ground, huh? You know there were kids there, right?"

One of the Saviors in the group approached her. "Your people started this. And you--"

Ellen quickly sunk a knife in the man's neck. "We'll finish it too."

The woman let the man's body slump to the ground, before she pulled the knife from his neck and threw it at another Savior about to shoot her.

Ellen let out a roar as she leapt at another Savior, and Dwight looked down at the man on the ground. He eyed the gun at the man's side, bending over to grab it.