Chapter 44: Force of Nature

"The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark." John Muir

Once again, they'd stopped to rest, having put enough space between themselves and the horde.

Ellen pulled a few pieces of dry clothes from her bag strapped to Speed's saddle, before heading towards the river bank below.

Negan blinked as the woman pulled her shirt over her head in front of him. Once again, he found himself admiring her rippling muscles and scarred flesh as his eyes made their way down her body. He frowned shamefully when his eyes connected with the letter N seared into her back.

He reluctantly averted his gaze when Ellen stripped completely, looking back when he'd heard the splashing of water and it was safe to do so. Ellen resurfaced a moment later, shaking water from her mane.

"Shit, that's colder than I expected," she called with a laugh.

Negan chuckled at the woman, watching as she lathered soap over her naked body, her chest bobbing just below the rippling current.

"Take a picture, save it for later!" she teased, noticing his gaze. "Get in!"

Negan looked away, a smirk on his face. He could feel his arousal growing and his smirk was replaced with a scowl. "You're putting me in a little bit of a, uh, situation here."

Ellen laughed, and splashed some water, sending it flying in his direction.

Negan continued watching Ellen run her hands over her body, before he turned to look over at Speed with a resigned groan.

"Oh, shut up," he growled to the mare, before ripping his own shirt off and unbuttoning his pants.

"Fuck," he swore, as he jumped in the chilly bath, swimming over to where Ellen was wading.

He grinned when he saw Ellen's teasing eyes following him. "Proud of you," she said with a laugh.

"Oh fuck off, I just didn't think the day was gonna come where you'd ever want to be naked next to me."

She smiled, and Negan felt it in his groin. "Well we've come a long way," she said, before turning her back to him and passing him the soap. "Here, get my back."

Negan grit his teeth as he ran his hands down the woman's back, working the bar of soap into a foamy lather. His hands drifted south, and he traced the raised edges of her scar, until his fingers spelt the letter N. Breathing deep, he brought his hands back up her body, feeling her shoulder blades and collar bone beneath his fingertips.

Ellen closed her eyes and sighed, enjoying the feeling of the man's rough hands as they grazed past her neck. She rolled her head back, resting it on his chest, feeling her heartbeat quickening at their close proximity.

She frowned when he pulled his hands away.

She blinked, turning to face him. She watched the water lap at the man's chest, taking in his tall physique.

"Never knew you had tattoos."

"Well I'm fuckin full of surprises," the man said, looking down at her, putting a distance between them.

"Hey," Ellen said, reaching out a bare hand to clasp the man's shoulder. "What is it?"

Negan looked back at her, before averting his gaze back up to the shore, at Speed and the surrounding woods. He shook his head. "Damnit El, I fucking hurt you. You should want me dead for the shit I did."