Chapter 40: Old Wounds

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Mahatma Gandhi

(After being locked up for seven years, Negan seizes the opportunity to escape when it is presented to him.)

Negan pushed through the forest, his recent run from a pack of feral dogs putting a bit of a pep in his step, adrenaline coursing through his body. The man narrowed his eyes, slowing when he saw a critter cross the path ahead of him.

Almost as quickly as it had appeared, the small, feral black cat scurried into the brush and fled from the approaching man.

"Well well well," a voice suddenly growled behind the man.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day where you're on the other side of those bars. If Rick had his way, you'd still be rotting in that cell."

Negan froze when he heard the voice behind him, immediately recognizing it, like hearing a ghost.

He turned slowly to face the woman.

"So who'd you have to bribe to let you out?"

"Ellen..."

The woman dismounted from atop a horse the color of midnight before she strode forward like the embodiment of death, black coat draped behind her and machete at her side glinting menacingly.

"It's been a long fucking time, Negan."

Negan's face plummeted, unreadable, and the two eyed each other in grim silence.

"The door was unlocked, I slipped out. Judith caught me but she let me leave," he said.

Ellen slowly circled the man, who closed his eyes with a defeated sigh, surrendering.

"You were safer behind those bars y'know. Lots of people still remember what you did."

He got down on his knees slowly, hands up, looking up at her as she fully circled him.

"I deserve it. I'm not going to fight you. I already know you know it, but being in a cell, alone with your thoughts for a while, can really make you realize some things."

"I don't feel pity for you."

"And you shouldn't. I got everything I deserved for the shit I did," Negan said calmly, looking at the ground below him.

"No, you really didn't," Ellen hissed. "You're still breathing."

"I never had the chance to apologize to you."

"Don't start now."

"Ellen, I'm so sorry for what I did to you. For what my men did to you..." he trailed off, his face full of genuine shame, and Ellen closed her eyes, grimacing at the painful memories he spoke of.

Ellen scowled when she saw tears fill the man's eyes.

"I know you can't forgive me, you don't have to. I'm not asking you to. I just wanted you to know that I thought about it every fucking day for the last seven years. I thought about how I could make it right, what I'd say if I ever saw you again. Shit, I never thought I'd actually see you again. I thought you were dead... that I killed you... till you--"

A long, tense silence passed, before Ellen finally spoke up, interrupting the man, her voice hoarse.

"Get up."

"What?"

"I said get the fuck up."

Negan did as he was told.