Chapter 23: First Date

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature." Jane Austen

"So, what's a girl gotta do to get a horse around here?" Ellen asked casually, leaning against a fence post, allowing some of her cleavage to spill from the top of her shirt.

The man across from her smirked back at her. "I can think of a few things, love."

Sun tanned and chiseled, check. Tattoos, check. Thick Irish accent, double check. The man certainly wasn't bad looking, and Ellen certainly wasn't complaining at the compliments he was throwing her way.

She knew she still looked like a kicked puppy, she'd take whatever she could get.

"Y'know, if you ever needed some pointers on proper ridin' techniques, I can provide 'em free o' charge," the man said with a teasing expression on his face and a wink.

Ellen licked her lips.

Daryl walked by at that moment on his way to the gate, noticing the woman stuck up the stableboy's ass. He rolled his eyes.

Ellen blinked when she noticed him pass, before she suddenly stepped down from the fence.

"I gotta go, bye James!"

"My name is Colin!" the man called after her, sounding annoyed.

She shrugged, trotting after the other man. She saw him return to the Kingdom earlier looking pissed, after an outing with Richard.

"Hey, wait up!"

Daryl looked over to the woman as she bounded over to him, remembering their last conversation.

"Thought you wanted to be alone."

"Where you going?"

A small smile tugged at the edges of Daryl's lips. "Why don't you follow me and find out?"

Ellen blinked, remembering when she'd said that to him. It had been a long time since that night. She walked alongside the surly man. "Sorry for freaking out the other day..."

Daryl looked down at the woman. "No you're not, and I know for a fact you'd do it again."

Ellen gave the man a crooked grin.

"So, the stableboy huh?" Daryl muttered as the duo walked.

"Don't worry, the dreamy Irish accent's got nothing on your panty melting Southern drawl," the woman said with a chuckle.

Daryl's lips twitched at that.

The two walked for a while, towards the outskirts of the Kingdom's borders. They came out to a clearing, with a surrounding forest set back along the road. A lone cabin was the only thing that cut across the horizon line ahead of them.

"Spooky shack in the middle of nowhere? Cool."

"Takin' you out here to put you down," Daryl joked.

Ellen grinned. "I'd like to see you try."

The two approached the small home, with a surrounding white picket fence.

"So, uh, what exactly is out here?"

"Not what, who. This is where Carol's staying."

"Carol, Carol..." Ellen said, racking her brain with the memories of Alexandria's residents. "Wait a minute, you mean the sweet little bird that made the casserole?"

"Sweet little bird, huh?"

Ellen noted his comment, raising a brow. "What, the canary's a killer?"