Chapter 27: Hell on Earth

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here." William Shakespeare

(Rick and the rest of the communities, a collective now known as the Militia, deliver a message to Negan and his lieutenants: Surrender or die. The Saviors refuse to comply and fighting ensues. The horde Ellen and Daryl redirected is unleashed on the Sanctuary, successfully surrounding the building.)

"We can wait some more," Daryl said.

Rick checked his watch. "We can't. He stopped to get me."

"How's that?"

"Negan, he was on the ground. I was trying to kill him, but Gabriel stopped to get me. We gotta start out. Where's Ellen?"

"Went on ahead to scout. Said she'd meet us there."

Rick nodded at that.

"You alright?"

Rick chuckled to himself a bit at that, recalling something Father Gabriel had told him earlier. "This isn't about me. Let's go."

---

When the men reached the outpost with the rest of their group, situated inside an old insurance agency, they were surprised to find how quiet it was.

Rick and Daryl exchanged a look, noticing that two Saviors who'd been guarding the back door had already been taken care of.

Daryl crouched down to examine the bodies, noticing the knife wounds. These men died quickly and quietly.

Rick narrowed his eyes. "Looks like she beat us to it."

"Gonna get herself killed," Daryl grumbled, heated.

The group moved cautiously down the corridor, guns held at the ready. Any Saviors unfortunate enough to have tangled with the woman prior to their arrival were already dealt with.

Rick buried his axe in one of the Savior's heads as they had begun to reanimate, before he and Daryl split off from the rest of the group.

"Let's find these guns."

The men covered more ground by splitting up, searching the first floor for any traces of the shipment of guns.

Rick noticed a blood trail as it rounded a corner, and proceeded with caution, his gun held ready. He was surprised when he saw a door leading to a flight of stairs had been unlocked, the severed hand used to do it still gripping the key in the lock.

The man started when he heard a noise approach, and he lowered his gun after realizing it was just Daryl.

"Ain't on this floor," Daryl said.

"Only option is up," Rick agreed, motioning to the stairs and the unlocked door.

"Lotta blood," Daryl noted.

"Ellen." Rick replied, with a nod.

The men headed up the stairs, eyeing a couple of dead Saviors' bodies on the way that had made a noble effort, but ultimately failed to stop the woman.

Rick looked over to Daryl, who was scowling at the carnage. "Gotta hand it to her, she's a tough cookie."

Daryl just huffed as the men reached the final story.

"Last floor. They've gotta be up here," Rick said.

"He said they'd be here," Daryl growled, thinking of the scar faced man who'd tortured him. Dwight.