Chapter 50: Pipe Dream

"It kills me sometimes, how people die

"It kills me sometimes, how people die." Markus Zusak

(One Month After)

Outside the walls, all was calm and quiet. The normal, quiet chirping of crickets and the croaking of frogs had died down by this point in the season. The air was cool and a gentle breeze blew, carrying with it the faintest traces of petrichor. Summer was coming to an end, and there was a lingering chill clinging in the air.

"Hey, do you see that?"

Rosita looked up, her sharp gaze falling to the horizon line where Aaron was pointing.

The woman narrowed her eyes and drew her rifle, extending it in front of her and looking down the sights. The scope rested on a familiar shadow, and the slow gait of the horse they rested on.

"She's back," Rosita said with a scowl.

Aaron exchanged a glance with the woman, nodding. "I'll try to talk to her."

Rosita nodded back at the man, before climbing down the wall and disappearing into the darkness.

Voices woke Negan from a restless slumber, and the man shifted in the gloom. He inched towards the barred window, craning his neck to hear the quiet voices as they carried towards him.

"She came back. She did it again."

"What do they say this time?"

There was a pause.

"Fight. Die."

---

(PRESENT)

The popcorn crunched between the woman's gnashing teeth, tearing into the soft kernels.

Ellen sat on a carved stump by the woodworking table, watching people pass by, all seemingly lost in their own little worlds.

She grinded another piece of popcorn in between her teeth, savoring its buttery flavor, appreciating the lengths these people went to to put this gathering together.

The woman was about to grab another handful of the treat, when she stopped as a familiar redhead sat down beside her.

Ellen frowned, lowering the bag.

"You here to lecture me too?"

Frankie looked over at her with a raised eyebrow and a small smile. "Of course not," she said quietly, looking down before adding, "I'm sure you had your reasons."

Ellen hummed at that, before offering the other woman a piece of popcorn.

Frankie accepted, and popped a piece into her mouth. "Y'know, we can't all be strong like you. Some of us had to take different approaches to get here today. We're strong in other ways."