Chapter 60: Bad Blood

"The axe forgets but the tree remembers

"The axe forgets but the tree remembers." African Proverb

"Ask her if she poops gold too."

Ellen snapped, stalking over to the small group by the gates.

"Ellen!"

"Is this a fucking wig too, huh, you bug-eating–" Ellen snarled as she buried a fist in the woman's hair, ferociously kneeing her in the gut and sending her to her knees.

"That's enough."

Ellen protested but didn't struggle when Daryl pulled her away from the Whisperer, fixing her with an annoyed look.

"See you're feelin' better already," he muttered.

Ellen winked back at him.

"I'm not here to fight you. I'm here to help," Gamma spoke up, recovering quickly from Ellen's initial attack.

"Why? What's in it for you?" Rosita growled, a suspicious look and a scowl also on her face. She sent a wordless nod in Ellen's direction.

"Don't like the way Alpha handles things, treats her people. It's time for a change."

"So skinning people and wiping your ass with a leaf is fine and dandy, but you draw the line at... poor management?" Ellen growled.

"I can show you where the horde is or not," Gamma said, unphased by Ellen's taunts.

Ellen's lip only curled further when Gamma raised her chin defiantly.

"We need time to plan this," Daryl said quietly to Carol beside him.

Carol shook her head. "We don't have time. The herd will move."

"We'll put a team together," Michonne stated, taking Daryl's side. "Do this right."

"I remember the last time somebody made a poor judgement call and trusted a stranger. Almost got eaten by cannibals," Ellen said, stretching an arm.

"The herd will usually stick around for a few days before she decides to move it again," Gamma offered.

"Oh yeah," Ellen said to Daryl, coughing into the crook of her arm. "You were there, too."

"Damn good time that was," the man muttered.

"What happens when she notices you missing?" Carol asked. "We need to go. Now."

"We all lost somebody," Michonne said to her. "We need to be smart about this. Hilltop has enough on their plate right now as it is. The best thing we can do is—"

"Follow a stranger into a trap? Eesh, is the hair standing up on anybody else's neck right now? No, just me?" Ellen interrupted, dabbing a bead of sweat on her forehead with her sleeve.